Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Loud rubbing noise from front

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 01:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud rubbing noise from front

There’s a loud rubbing noise coming in from the front wheels.
1) the noise started when I got new tires. I bought all 4 new tires and on the drive back there was a light hum/rubbing. 2 weeks later the rubbing is as loud as a prop engine and the car is vibrating. I thought it might be bad alignment.

2)it might be the wheel hub assembly and bearings but I've jacked the car up to check for play in the wheels but there is none. I’ve read that there doesn’t need to be play for the the bearings to be worn out. 1.5 years ago I got a the I got a new front axles because the cv boots failed. But I’m not sure if they also replaced the hub assembly.

So is it wheel alignment or bearings?

Old 06-22-2019, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

my experience with bad wheel bearings is that they moan and will be loudest at 30-40 mph. Another tell tale sign is if the noise changes with turning left or right - easiest to hear with windows open going 40 on a windy road - idea is the cornering will put a load on the outside wheels, helping to stress out that side. More noise turning left indicates a right side bearing. Rubbing and vibration is something else though. Did you spin the wheels while on the jack to feel/hear anything when rotating? Did you try a front/rear rotation to see if that changes any noise or vibration? New tires may be noisier just by their design but they shouldn't vibrate - that could point to the wheel hubs not being centered or lugs fully torqued or that the tires were not properly balanced. Assuming you have the correct size replacements not much reason to get rubbing short of the tech wacking the brake dust shield..

Old 06-23-2019, 12:17 PM

The problem started the very day I got new tires. Which is what has led me to believe it was a bad tire alignment or balance. However the wheels have the symptoms of bad bearing; when I turn left the noise and vibration get louder and when I durn right they almost disappear. So I’m not sure what’s going on. I’ve attached a video of the sound.

Attached Files
Old 06-23-2019, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

did you check the torque on the lug nuts? its totally possible you either have a tire out of balance, a defective tire, wheels not mounted to the hubs properly. I'd go back to the tire shop and complain about the noise and ask vibrations. Also whenever you get new tires, you should always protect your investment with a fresh alignment. A bad alignment can cup new tires within 5000 miles

Old 06-24-2019, 10:51 AM
Received 108 Likes on 104 Posts

A couple random thoughts / questions.

1) Make sure that the tires are all the same size (yeah, that could happen).
2) Does the sound's pitch (frequency) change with the engine, or with the speed of the vehicle?

Old 06-25-2019, 04:59 PM

The noise gets louder the faster I go especially after 40. Although the frequency is a low at slow speeds but at higher speeds it sounds like a continuous buzz.

Ive taken off and put the wheels back on and torqued it to the recommended 103 ft lbs but the noise is still there when I drive. I’ll take it to get aligned tomorrow and see if that solves it. If not then ill presume it’s the bearings.

edit; Forgot to mention that it’s a 2005 Volvo s40 fwd. The tires are the same size. The area I drive around in has a lot of bumpy roads so I know it could be bearings. I’m just a bit curious as to why the noise started the day I got new tire.

Last edited by Veinci; 06-25-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:49 PM
Received 108 Likes on 104 Posts

It sure could be the bearings. I can't think of a reason they'd get that loud when the tires were changed, but it could have just been from the twisting / torqueing of getting the wheels off and on, I suppose. Or maybe the old tires were just noisy enough that it kind of masked the rumble from your bearings.

You didn't say for sure, but it sounds like the sound doesn't change if the engine speed does (like when down-shifting / up-shifting).