Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

which MAP sensor is what and where can i buy a geniune one?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 07:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which MAP sensor is what and where can i buy a geniune one?

I have stalling and low idle problems with my car (Volvo s40 2001) and i had it diagnosed by a friend and it showed that the MAP sensor wasn't reading anything so I'm trying to replace it but then i started reading a post in where they talked about that there are two MAP sensors,omething about one reads barometric pressure and the other temperature. so which one is which and where can i buy one, i recently started using IPD for parts but i cant find any sensors in there where can i buy a genuine one with a decent price?

thank you.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

Not sure where you read there is more than one map sensor, IE the manifold absolute pressure sensor... What would make sense to me is that a diagnosis code can point to different sensors that influence the FI mixture, IE the mass airflow sensor, (MAF),. The engine coolant temperature sensor,. Oxygen sensors and the MAP sensor being the major players. So where to buy? I am on the east coast and have found Tascaparts.com to have excellent genuine Volvo part prices. I also use FCP and eeuroparts for OEM and aftermarket brands. IPD is West coast based and offers performance parts too.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:50 PM

the reason why I asked if there was two is because I was looking at a schematic from Volvo parts and it showed two MAP sensors that have the same part # but they are located in separate locations, one is located by the inlet manifold and the other is located in the intercooler. and another thing is that I don't get any codes after the car stalls or idles at low RPM so can't tell if it would be either one of the components that are failing I only have the diagnose of the MAP sensor not reading from an diagnose program from a friend.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:58 PM

these are the links for the schematics that I'm looking at.

intercooler schematic of MAP sensor:
2001 Volvo S40 4DRS S.R 2.0l 4 cylinder Turbo Intercooler 4-Cylinder TURBO 2000-

inlet manifold schematic of MAP sensor:
2001 Volvo S40 4DRS S.R 2.0l 4 cylinder Turbo Inlet pipe

Old 12-28-2016, 11:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bosch or Volvo which are the same but you can find the Bosch cheaper.

Old 12-29-2016, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

interesting. Seems you are correct, there are two MAP sensors on the S40 (I never looked for them on my car before - and my 850 only has one...).

here's a good thread on how to find/replace....

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...located-52469/

In terms of replacements, Bosch is likely the original vendor and will be a better price than the Genuine Volvo brand. Tasca sells Genuine Volvo for $93, FCP sells the Bosch for $51

Old 12-30-2016, 08:32 PM

thanks mt6127 that thread gave me some sense of what I'm dealing with, I already order the part and I went with FCP, ill reply back once I get it and how it went with replacing it. thanks for the help, now I know a second please where to get my parts.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:19 PM

i sorry it took me so long to post this i was going thru my finals of school and going thru getting a new job its been very busy, but anyways i replaced the MAP sensor from the intake manifold i'm guessing you can replace both MAP sensors or switch them since their the same sensors( talking about both MAP sensors from the manifold and inter-cooler one) but after i replaced the MAP sensor i still had the same problem got really frustrated so i contacted a mechanic here in town who knows about Volvos he told me to replace the MAF, i had an aftermarket one so i replaced it with a genuine one from a dealer ( VolvoPartsofPhoenix.com ) once replaced with a genuine one the car stopped stalling but i still got a code of P0507 high idle problem but it stopped the stalling, erratic RPM. overall i think replacing the MAF worked and i'm disappointed that i had to replace many other things were i could of just replaced that one part.

Old 02-03-2017, 02:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My son had the code for turbo boost sensor (MAP sensor) and we replaced the one on the intake manifold, which is the one the VIDA/DICE indicated. The code came back so I reinstalled the old one in the intake manifold and installed the new one in the intercooler. Code hasn't come back (unless he hasn't told me. He gets busy too).

Old 02-03-2017, 10:11 PM

i did the same thing because first i replaced the one in the manifold and then i put the old one back and replaced the one in the inter-cooler but still i had stalling problems with either one. afterwards i was told to replace the MAF sensor specially if i had an aftermarket one which i had so i went genuine about $200 but it was worth the buy my car is running good although i had a high RPM while idling i made a hard reset to my car by disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery for 15 mins some say to touch the negative and positive together, it worked for me, after that i started my car let it warm up put it in "N" for 1min and "D" for 1min. hope this helps.