Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

My 2006 S40 Lemon

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 03:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2006 S40 Lemon

Hey everybody~
Having clocked 16K and 10 months with my less than stellar 2006 S40, I took the ol' clunker in to the shop last night for its 15K mile service, state inspection, two recall campaign repairs, a noisy driver seat, and to repair the fallen trunk lid carpeting. I dropped the car off at closing, and picked up my loaner (nice loaner, a duplicate to my S40 except this one was equipped w/ leather and I was impressed by the high quality of the hides). Ironically enough, the carpet inside the loaner car's trunk lid is falling off exactly like mine. The service manager drove my car w/ me in it, so he could verify the noise in the driver's seat (which he did). I get a call early this morning letting me know that my car was ready for pick up. Geez, that was fast!!! I stop in at lunch, pay for the service, and purchase a set of the rubber mats at 107.00 (list prices in the accessory catalog 79.00 ??? Hmmmm....) from a less than friendly parts clerk. My service rep informs me that the cure for the sqeaky/craking noise in my seat was simply a little "track grease". I find my car, sitting in the blazing sun, unwashed... sunshade sitting in the back seat. The plastic protective seat cover and dirty greasy carpet protector still there, along w/ yet another greasy footprint on my light grey carpets! (the second time this has happened). I get in, start it up, drive off. Low and behold, the driver seat it still squeaking/cracking as before!!!. Ticked but tired, I decide to wait it out and have it looked at again the next time something else breaks. Being a sunny, breezy day in the mid 70's, I decide to lower my windows to enjoy the day. To my suprise, the passenger window squeals loudly and gets caught up in the track. I roll it back up, and it again squeals loudly, closes, and it thumps. Same occurance after repeated openings/closings . What the F????? This never happened before! I took the car back, dropped it off, picked up yet another loaner. Somehow my service rep does not seem suprised, and I sense he knows that they did not do a grat job. Makes me wonder about the 250.00 15K service done on my car, how well was that performed? At this point.. I'm pretty dissapointed. I return the rubber mats for a refund, because at this point I don't feel like I will be keeping the car long enough to use them. I feel like I can't win... and I don't know what to do. My next step will likely be to talk to a lemon law attorney. I may also pursue the easier option of going back to the Mercedes-Benz dealer that I bought my last certified E-Class from. I'm pretty much ready to take a hit at this point, and trade it in on a 04'/05' C-class. At least I trust that dealer implicitly, I know they are honest, and stand by their cars. I bought "new" thinking I'd have far less to worry about and would at least have a few years of safe, comfortable, and care free driving. This car has been in the shop more times during the last ten months I've owned it than my 8 year old E-Class was during the entire time is was mine (nearly three years) . Pretty sorry in my opinion. Also scary is the fact that the 2007 S40 loaner I was given also has a noisy driver's seat, and has the same falling trunk carpet as my car and the loaner I had earlier today.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My 2006 S40 Lemon

had anything resolved yet?

Old 05-31-2007, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there!
Thanks for the post. Got the car back yesturday. They could not duplicate the seat noise (which still exists) but the window noise has improved (although the passenger window still labors when lowered). The car was returned to me covered in dirt, grass clippings (from the prior week when my yard was mowed) and bird droppings on the back window and windshield. No even an apology for the malfunctioning loaner Pretty sorry considering I spent 269.00 for service on a 10 month old car. Being the only Volvo dealer in my region, I feel like I'm trapped in a timebomb. I also can't shake the fear of the airbag issue returning (which has acted up twice). I have contacted a lemon law attorney, to see if I can get help and if I qualify. If not, I will likely trade it or sell it outright. I can't tell you how bummed it is to feel this way, especailly considering the investment I made in my new car. Really stinks.
Spence

Old 05-31-2007, 04:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah I can imagine how you feel when you buy a new car and you get nothing but problems. This could just be this car though. Maybe you could trade it in for another S40 or something?

Hope all goes well now with your car

Rich