Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

HELP - S40 T5 starting problem - LEMON?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 01:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP - S40 T5 starting problem - LEMON?

Anyone ever had a problem with their s40 not starting? My wife and I bought an 05' T5 4 months ago. It was used, with 15000 miles on it. We bought it from a dealership so it is certified pre-owned and has a warranty. Two days after we took delivery on it, it broke down on us in a parking lot. Basically when you turned the key over, all the electronics would come on, but the engine wouldn't even try to turn over. I let it sit while I conteplated calling Volvo roadside assistance, tried it again, and it started up. We took it in and the dealership said it was the battery and replaced it. Two weeks ago, the same thing happened again. We had Volvo roadside tow it to the dealer. This time they said it was the fuel pump(which makes no sense to me since the engine wouldn't even turn over) and replaced it after 3 days in the shop. This past weekend my wife and I went on a mini vacation. On our way back we made a pit stop about a half hour away from home, and it happened again. We let it sit for about 20 mins and it started up again and I dropped it off at the dealer on our way home. As you can imagine, this sucks. I never thought I'd be looking up lemon law regs for California 4 months after buying the car. The dealer hasn't been able to get the car to act up, so I have no proof other than my word. My wife and I love the car and want to keep it, but c'mon, I'd rather drive a reliable Kia rather than an unreliable Volvo. If anyone can offer help or advice has any information regarding the problem I would greatly appreciate it. :banghead:

Old 05-16-2007, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HELP - S40 T5 starting problem - LEMON?

I have a 2004 S40 and have had strange electrical issues with my car. They started the day I drove it off the lot and they replaced the main computer. The past few days I am having the same issue with the car doing nothing and if I take the key out and back in it might start. I am getting an error message "key error" I have a suggestion. To get them to see all the messages that would come up I drove with a digital camera in the passenger seat and took pictures when a message showed up and printed them and gave them to the dealership. Of course they didnt' come on when they drove the car. It helped and I think it is what helped in getting them to replace the computer. I am not sure what is wrong with this now. I called today and they said it might be the key but it does it with my husbands key to. He said it might be the ring not recognizing the key. Good Luck! If you are getting messages I would highly suggest the camera if you have one.