Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

My numerous codes from my Volvo = /

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My numerous codes from my Volvo = /

First of all I'd like to say thank you to all of you who keep up with this site and provide answers. Everytime I've had an issue you all have pulled me through it.

So thank you = )

I have a 2000 Volvo S40. Now to start with I have the code I've seen before but I mention it just in the case it might relate to the others. This is code P0128, if I remember it has to do with the coolant temp. I've fixed this several times. Then I have the following.

P0705, P0014, P0014, P0015, and P1618.

I had the up arrow (the one I see when I use winter mode) flashing, it stopped after I retrieved the codes. The car shakes if I'm not accelerating, it has recently turned itself off and then immediately turned back on while driving. It turned itself off in my driveway where as afterward my radio console now wants the security code. It leaks oil and is overdue for an oil change ( I barely drive it 1500 miles from oil change to oil change ) though I have kept an eye on the oil level. I replaced a headlight months ago. And last but not least my headlights produce very little light; putting on my brights gives me what would be a normal amount of light for regular headlights. The shaking, leaking oil, and headlight issue I've had since I purchased the car 2 1/2 years ago.

I'm not smart when it comes to cars and have not had money for anything other than a regular oil changes which seem to be consistently a month late. I appreciate whatever insight you all can provide for my dad and I (my dad is the guy who understands this stuff) as how to fix this (if even possible) and forgive me my ignorance, I'm sure it has a great deal to do with all these codes. May my Volvo have mercy on my soul.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:09 AM

I'm not really an expert but lets see if I can help a little.
P0014 and p0015 are camshaft codes, "B" Camshaft Position - Timing Over - Advanced or System Performance Bank 1
It pretty much means that the computer thinks your cam is out of timing. This can be caused by a clogged or defective VVT solenoid. Get a vvt solenoid gasket, remove the solenoid and clean it with brake cleaner. Then put it back on with the new gasket and see if it gets better. If not you might have to replace it. If it is the vvt it can cause very poor idle, shaking etc.

What oil are you using? You need a high quality oil for these cars. I use Mobil 1 full synthetic.

The other codes, p0705 and P1618 are related to the transmission range sensor and the communication between the computer and your transmission. I had the same codes and all it was for me was a sticking button on the gear shifter. When I didn't shift it into D or R cleanly but kinda wiggled back and forth a bit too much because the button was stuck it sometimes confused the car and threw the codes.
Beyond that I am even less of a transmission expert than I am a mechanic. However check your transmission fluid for condition and level. It should not smell burnt or be too dirty and black. If it is you might have to flush and refill.

The headlight issue sounds a bit like you have trouble with your electric system. I'm not sure where you are located but usually you can have auto parts stores test your battery and alternator. That should give you a good starting point.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK first. Look at where the upper rad hose is going into the block (actually thermostat housing) just below and front center is the coolent temp sensor. If it looks corroded, green like replace it the engine will run better and you will have better MPG is that is a problem.

Remove the plastic cover on the top of the engine closest to the belt. Its 2 T-30 screws.

when you remove that you will be looking at a coil pack and the CVVT solenoid staring right at you. Engine off of course remove it (8mm hex head X 4) remove the gasket and make sure the tiny mesh filter isn't clogged or missing. If missing take COMPRESSED AIR and GENTLY (best use can of compressed air NOT SHOP AIR) blow through the passages of the solenoid, then buy new gasket.

If the mesh is in place you just won't need a new gasket, just be careful with the old one. Clean the solenoid same as above.

The transmission stuff is just a computer error, but do make sure the shift cable is locked in all the way on the transmission. There is a bracket (square) which has a matching piece on the cable that lock together on top of the transmission.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:51 AM

I resolved the P0014, P0128, and P0015 in my S40 by a combination of things suggested in these forums. First, clear the codes, then unhook the battery terminals and tie them together overnight. While the car is sitting, change the thermostat (P0014 code for over advanced timing directly relates to improper running temperature). Also do an oil change but add a can of Sea Foam before topping off the crankcase level (P0015 code for over retarded timing is directly related to oil sludge in the motor which reduces oil pressure to the camshaft reset valve and pops the code).

I was told by one of the mechanics at my local dealer as well as one here that the operating parameters for the computer change as parts wear, but the range programmed into the computer is not wide enough cover the operating range differences. You can have Volvo erase the parameters so the car can learn a new set of operating parameters through a drive cycle, or do it yourself by tying the battery terminals together overnight.

Did this to my car and passed inspection and still no lights on. Hope it helps.

Oh, as for the oil leak, did you replace the compression ring on the drain plug and the o-ring on the filter housing? If not I would be willing to bet one of those is the source of your leak.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

One more thought on the oil leak is to check the turbo return seal. I've not had this go on my S40 but my 850T typically needs this seal replaced every 60-80K miles (190K miles on that car :-) ). Its the seal where the oil line goes into the turbo housing...

Old 03-20-2012, 03:43 PM

Thank you to all who have replied! I have read through all of this with my dad and it has been extremely helpful. = D

Old 03-20-2012, 03:52 PM

Also does anyone know how to reset my radio console from OFF back to CODE. I've read you have to have the radio on from as little as 15 min to 4 hours. I also am sure it changes from model to model. My questions is does the car have to be running, using gas? Or can the key be turned to on and left there for the duration till it resets without the engine running?