Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

S40 -2007 - Eletrical motor noise/whine from front right power steering (I think)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S40 -2007 - Eletrical motor noise/whine from front right power steering (I think)

I am getting this noise while driving. The change in pitch happens when I turn the steering wheel.

https://soundcloud.com/user-47580575...-noise/s-8RxaU

A bit of background. I got the car second hand a year ago. After 2 months or so I took it in because there was humming while driving. There was a whole heap of problems (belts split, engine mounts, axel bearing, etc). I decided to spend the money and get it fixed up because I thought the initial purchase price for the car was a good deal. When I got the car back from the workshop the front right hand side made that whine sound whenever I turned left. I spoke to the workshop and they told me it was nothing to worry about. Just that the power steering sometimes makes a noise and then needs to be replaced but it would be fine until I decide to change it. I tried to explain that it wasn't making the noise before but how do you convince someone that there wasn't a noise before. I decided to leave it for then and just replace it later. It didn't happen while driving so didn't bother me.

Fast forward a few months. The brakes started scraping so I took the car back in. They fixed the brakes and when I got the car back it felt like the noise was louder. That's difficult to quantify because I was driving another car for a day without the noise so I left it because it was still only happening when I turned left.

Fast forward once more until this week. I took the car in because oil started gushing out. It turned out to be something inside this beasty:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...psa42b2427.jpg

After replacing that, my wife picked up and the car and told me about the noise. I checked it out when I got home and it's now on permanently. Apart from the fact that it's extremely annoying. I can't believe this is good for the part or possibly the car as a whole.

My questions are:
1. What is causing this noise. I read up here and people mentioned bleeding, could that fix it?
2. Is this damaging the component/car?

I want to go back to them to get it sorted out but I want to go back with my eyes open. I don't want them trying to pull the wool over my eyes. I have spent half of my cost price for the car on repairs over only 1 year and so far it's turned out to be the worst purchase of a car that I have ever made. I don't want to give up on it yet. It feels like I am over the worst of things and selling it now would be a huge loss.

To date I have had to fix the following on the car: Broken Engine mount, Broken Transmission mount, replace split serpentine belt, replace timing belt, replace alternater, repair axel bearing, replace tyres, transmission service, replace that part in the picture above (can't remember the name), replace tyre again (pothole)

I am probably forgetting something. Some of them are general maintenance. The car had 120k miles on the clock when I bought it so I expected to change the belts, etc. It just feels like I have had to do everything all at once. I bought the car for $5900 and have paid about $2700 on repairs, etc. I still have about $1000 more of stuff that I need to do excluding the noise here.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

The car has electronic power steering. That's the noise it makes. It doesn't sound excessively loud in that recording.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ES6T
The car has electronic power steering. That's the noise it makes. It doesn't sound excessively loud in that recording.
It's really loud. I can hear it over the radio when it's turned up. That recording is on a phone inside the car so it's difficult to gauge the volume. It's only the right side that makes the loud noise. The left is silent. I believe that both the front and left have different electronic power steering motors. Is that correct?

Does it also make sense for the motor to be working while I am not turning the car? The noise happens while I am driving in a straight line. It basically never stops.

Last edited by Graymatter; 01-26-2017 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

The pump is in the right front. If its excessively loud and the fluid is full, it will need to be replaced.