Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Need some help!! Anyone got the time?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help!! Anyone got the time?

Hey there, The names Chad. So heres my issue....

I spent the last 2 years building my WRX up. The thing hauls now... Now im trying to help a friend out with his car. I can do a turbod subaru but I have no idea about a non-turbo swedish car. What works and what doesnt. He has the money and he wants the car to move. It is a 2007 Volvo s40 5sod. Non-turbo!! My question is, what and where should i direct him to get the parts. What is the most important and what really doesnt help. I wanna know it all. ECU's, intakes, fuel systems, exhausts, ect. So let me know what you think and what I should do.

Thanks for your time

Chad

Old 09-10-2007, 02:03 PM
Default RE: Need some help!! Anyone got the time?

If he has the money, do the following:

Trade in the non-turbo for the turbo model.

Also check out these sites:

http://www.swedespeed.com/
http://www.s40concepts.net/

Old 09-10-2007, 02:27 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Please have your friend jointhe forum so he can ask us questions personally.

1. Your friend bought the wrong kind of car if he wants to modify it. Especially in the Volvo world.

2. I would suggest he sells the current s40 he has now and purchases a turbo model. Or for that matter buy another turbo model Volvo such as an 850, s70, v70, c70, s60.

3. Since he is NA (Naturally Aspirated) he doesn't have many options if any to truly modify his car and have it move quickly.

- Catback system. A 2.25"-2.5" system with a baffled muffler such as a Flowmaster will net him possibly 5 Hp and possibly decrease his performance.

- There is a K&N Typhoon intake on the market, however I think it is just for the Turboed models. Other then that he could see if it will work and possibly see if an EST intake system will work. But other then those two options that may or may not work he is looking at a custom job. 2-5 Hp increase possible decrease.

- ECU upgrades. Don't think there any many or any out there for the NA Volvo's. Mostly turboed models get ECU upgrades. And if he finds a company to upgrade his ECU he wont gain much. Probably like 10Hp max if that.

- Fuel System nope don't even mess with it.

-------------------

So to your friend I suggest he sells his NA and buys a turbo model. He will be much happier trust me.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree with the others here. The non-turbo is hopeless and lackluster at best. But seeing that it is a new model, your friend probably doesn't want to get rid of it. I take it you're pretty handy. Have you thought about the Squires Turbo System (ststurbo.com)? They specialize in vehicle specific aftermarket turbo setups. They don't have a *system* for a Volvo, but their universal kit could be adapted to it. If I had the cash and the ambition thats what I would look into. Possible 50% gains. I saw HorsePowerTV installed the setup on the Fidanza C6 Vette and it looked straight forward.

I'm in the same boat as your friend,the wrong model to be modding. Like S70driver already said, a customexhaust system is good for top end but will cost him in acceleration. An intake will do little to nothing except make his wallet lighter (great for turbos, but it won't mean a thing for a NA). And ECU tune (if it existed for the NA) would do him squat without an already modded engine.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:29 AM

Its true volvo doesnt like you messing with there cars. Im not sure if i remember right but the cars computer will hinder custom efforts alot. Might be a way to wipe the computer and then modify, but im really not sure, safest bet of course is, sell it and buy one ready to customize more.