Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

TURBO TIME!!! got some questions...

Old 10-05-2010, 02:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TURBO TIME!!! got some questions...

Now that I have all my stage 0 stuff done, along with the new cams, I think my next step is going to be a turbo upgrade. I'd definitely like more boost, and for it to come in sooner...

I know I have some options here, but I'm not looking for ridiculous power or cost, and im not looking to have to build my bottom end...so that rules out going the Holset route. I'm also not rich, so that rules out the Hahn setup.

The way I see things, my main options are to go 16T or 18T - and I'd like to do it without spending a fortune. IPD sells an 18T for 1200 bucks, which is higher than I would like to go, really, but how hard are they to find in junk yards? next to impossible, I'm guessing. I checked ebay for turbos and the only thing i could find in 18T was this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turbo...item2309f271fc

Now, my question with that is whether or not that could fit in the stock housing. I know there would be machine shop work involved in that, and im not sure what that would cost me, or if it would even be feasable to fit into the stock turbo housing even with machine work.

That leads me to a 16T. I know I have not seen any in junk yards, because around here volvos with turbos still on them are somewhat scarce in boneyards. I see that CX racing sells new ones on ebay for around $400, but I'm wondering about the quality there. Plus they say they are only rated for 230 hp...im wanting to be somewhere in the area of 300-320 after the IPD ECU flash.

These are the two main thoughts I have had with this. if someone has any other ideas, please let me know - I'm in the early stages here, so i still have plenty of time for other peoples input. Thanks!

Old 10-05-2010, 03:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up a 19T from an "R" off ebay for $199, the car it came off was a "cash for clunkers" car so I am rebuilding it since it was flushed with sodium silicate. I figure after a rebuild kit and CBV upgrade I am in $350 for a nice like new 19T.

I would consider an 18t compressor and housing and rebuild the turbo. BEWARE of chinese ebay turbos.

I am pretty sure you have the 7CM turbine so the 18T might be the way to go.

Keep looking on ebay used 19t's do come up only took me a month of searching and got it as a buy It Now.

I am thinking the 19T with low 10psi boost will be fine for me right now and i can go upwards of like 20PSI with it.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:32 PM

Nice. I'm probably gonna be adding water/methanol injection too, just because i would like cooler intake air temps and dont want to run a front mount intercooler.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:39 PM

I guess i should specify what I'm looking for a little further...I plan on doing an IPD reflash on the ecu, adding an exhaust, and water/methanol injection. Looking to get to a point where I'm pretty much getting all I can out of the motor without having to build the bottom end or switch to a manual transmission.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:04 PM

I'm posting the crap out of my own thread, but...i found a turbo off a 2005 V70R. I think the designation is K24....would this bolt up with no problem or am I gonna have to do lots of custom crap to the exhaust manifold, etc? I'm looking for something that I can just bolt in and go with....custom fabrication gets too expensive for me since i dont have friends who can weld.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:30 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well since the K24 uses the R manifold, and the R manifold can bolt up, that part will be fine, although you'll need a custom dp.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:11 AM

Well, you could try the place linked right in the ad space in the forum banner:
http://www.turbochargerpros.com/

...they offer remanufactured factory units, which is what I'd want - should offer the best compromise between cost and reliability.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:28 AM

Don't forget though, you can't just slap on a large turbo and be done with it. You can't cheap out especially if you're keeping the engine stock. Which means, you should do a fmic, EBC, wide band/boost, exhaust, tune, injectors, etc. People want more out of their cars on here but don't want to spend the money to do it right. Also, once you start adding more power, you're going to run into other issues. Such as mine, once I added the 19T, I started getting excessive crank case pressure running boost through high rpms, I had to reconfigure the PCV system to include a catch can, the only original part of my pcv system I have left is about 6" of that hard plastic hose, the rest I had to remake. Just things like that. Don't cheap out if you're doing a build, because then you will be rebuilding your bottom end.

Last edited by gilber33; 10-11-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:27 AM

Gilber: i had planned on doing all of that except the front mount. I'm gonna get the ECU upgrade from IPD, i think, and run the obx exhaust, along with a wideband, egt gauge, boost gauge, white injectors....

Not going for ridiculous power, necessarily, because i wanna keep it a daily driver.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:18 PM

If you don't run a fmic, I would at least do samco intercooler hoses, or else you're going to start blowing the ****ty rubber ones. I only have one rubber hose on my car and I blew it a couple months ago. And by the time you pay for good silicone hoses, it's the same as a front mount, except the front mount will have more gains.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:54 AM

YEah I had forgotten to mention the silicone hoses because I already have those. So would i really see that much of a gain off a front mount over the stock intercooler? I'm intrigued. if you could fill me in some more on that I'd appreciate it.

That being said, I think I'm gonna wind up going with either a 16T or an 18T, depending on what I can find. I'm certainly not paying the $1300 that IPD wants for a 18T...

Old 10-12-2010, 07:50 AM

All metal piping. Intercooler isn't heat soaked like it is in its current position. Piping is more straight, doesn't do figure 8s like the stock set up. If you're doing a 16t, I wouldn't bother. 16t is basically the exact same as a 15g.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Before you go spending on the injectors and ECU upgrades you should start with a wideband. The wideband will tell you whether you need the agressive ECU upgrade and injectors. I did this last and found that I am spot on with the injectors and IPD Stage 1 ecu. With a manual or electronic boost control you can take your boost up to at least 18psi without issue. I already said this on another posting but I consulted with IPD and they agreed that it would be a waste of money to go with a Stage 3 ECU with my numbers. I now have a set of whites that I do not plan on using.
I do not agree with gilber33 on the 16T being exactly like a 15G. Mapping shows they are different and users have noticed the difference. But I do believe you are wasting your money when you can spend a couple more bucks and get something that will really put a smile on your face.
The 19T will make your car sing with lower boost, the 18T will require more boost to get the same results but it is a safer turbo for your car, expecially if you are running an Auto trans. If your manual and have the safety hardware to match then go with an 19T, they can produce more flow and boost. If your Auto and need to be a bit more conservative and cautious then an 18T.
I did not notice much difference with the Aquamist. I say much difference because there is a bit of a difference being that your engine can provide a bit more advance on its own. Definately smoother strong top end with the Aquamist running. But the best part is the piece of mind it brings knowing I am not going to detonate.

Last edited by boxpin; 10-12-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:58 PM

SO 18T it shall be. Now, I just need to find an 18T, a FMIC, an EBC, get IPD to do a stage one on my ecu, and an aquamist setup. SWEET!

Anyone know where I can find an 18T without having to bend over?

Old 10-13-2010, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Your going to have to bend over and start looking under rocks.

Hard to find but look everywhere. Try wreckers, ebay, craigslist, other forums...everywhere. It will turn up.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:11 AM

Volvospeed. There's usually an 18t floating around on there. There's also two 19Ts on there right now. PM member Spanky on VS. He sells turbos. Put an add in the wanted section on there too. someone will have one.