Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Newbie considering 2007 S40

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018 | 12:12 PM
|
Default Newbie considering 2007 S40

Hi guys.

I'm considering buying a 2007 S40 2.0l or 2,4l (mileages are "high" at 120000km - 170 000km).
Also have found a 2005 S40 2.0l with only 105 000km on it. (<- Very cheap, not sure why yet)

Anything should I be looking out for when I purchase?

I've read about PCV issues and suspension problems so far?

Thanks!

Old 04-04-2018 | 04:35 PM

My opinion, get the 2.4 engine. I'm non-turbo (base model/audio) so that's less to fix. Check for 2 keys, or knock 300+ dollars from price. Keys are a pain. Im at 178k miles on a rebuilt engine. Auto tranny seems solid. Im real happy with my 07. So far I'm out for an ac compressor, control arm bushings, and that darn spare key (price). So wouldn't hurt to have an extra grand just for things you'll learn about after purchase. With little stuff I've put in 2 grand in 2 years. My purchase price was about 4 grand but I love the car. I think I'm done on the repairs but at this age and mileage I probably could use some new shocks/struts but that's going to have to wait. Oh mine is not a daily driver but the front seats are great. I'm 6'6" so no, I've not tested the back seats. It's a comfy car and interior. And from what I've read you are probably not going to just "swap radios" for a better one. I've no reason to not think I've got another 10 years on this car. I love mine. A fresh coat of paint would be cool if I win the lottery. Clear coat is starting to peel. Lol

Old 04-06-2018 | 12:33 PM

Hi All,
my first post in this forum.

I bought my first ever Volvo last year for about 3,000 $. It had already 190t km done by that time, but only two previous owners which both had the car dealer-maintained with full history, so I had some confidence. So far, I am quite happy, even though I spent another 3,800 bit by bit for necessary repairs and maintenance.

I should add that the car is my daily driver with 200-250 km / day. In 9 months I made about 35t km with no issues whatsoever. (OK, I had a dead battery one day, but the battery was already over 4 years old. Saw it coming......) I get an average of little over 7 liters (about 33 mpg) at highway speed. I am living in a challenging climate as well, with summer temperatures easily reaching 45 C and salty air coming from the sea.

Imho, age of the car and mileage is not critical with regular diligent maintenance and good quality (OEM) parts. I have a second car which is 22 years old and almost 300t km done, and it runs great.

So far, my experience with the car is great; it is reliable, fairly quite, easy to handle, reasonably comfortable and fast enough. Only thing I don't like is that the stereo doesn't have bluetooth/handsfree. Since I am using the car intensively this is the only real upgrade I am considering.

Major repairs done in the last 9 months (aside from engine oil change) are: idle pulley, belt tensioner, drive belts, engine mounts, transmission oil & filter change (automatic gearbox), steering tie rod ends, stabilizer link kit and the cabin air filter. Plus a new battery.

Paint and indoor plastic are an issue. Paint has become duff, and some coated plastic parts are peeling off. I attributed this to the climate, but maybe it is a Volvo-specific issue. I admit though, since the car is more of a work horse then a show-n-shine, that I don't care much for these details.

Hope this helps.