Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Passenger side outer tie rod replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 01:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger side outer tie rod replacement

On Dec. 24, I took my 2002 Volvo s40 to a tire center to get a wheel alignment. They declined saying I need to replace the

passenger side outer tie rod

before any wheel alignment is done. Okay I have found some ads for them on the internet. My first question is whether there is a difference between the passenger side outer tie rod and the drivers side outer tie rod. The following link for the most relevant ad is:

Amazon.com: 2002 Volvo s40 passenger side outer tie rod

which shows one made by Delco that is for sale around $ 58.17. They do not seem to make a distinction between the passenger side or the drivers side. Is there a distinction?

Also, lower down on the page at the same link there is one made by Moog for $ 39.45. Again no distinction between passenger side and driver's side.

So are these good outer tie rods. They come from reputable companies.

Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Newport_j

Old 12-26-2015, 01:44 PM

Both good brands yes.
I just replaced the ones on the 2002 S40, and they were different part numbers. So not sure on that deal.
The tie rods were also stamped L and R.
Question though......If one is worn, do you think the other will still be really good? No is the correct answer to that. ALWAYS replace them in pairs
Easiest way is to hold the tie rod, and count how many turns the tie rod end is to remove, and thread the new ones on the same number of turns. Far from scientific or deadly accurate, but will get you close enough to get to the alignment shop.

Martin

Old 12-26-2015, 10:05 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Leftlanetruckin
Both good brands yes.
I just replaced the ones on the 2002 S40, and they were different part numbers. So not sure on that deal.
The tie rods were also stamped L and R.
Question though......If one is worn, do you think the other will still be really good? No is the correct answer to that. ALWAYS replace them in pairs
Easiest way is to hold the tie rod, and count how many turns the tie rod end is to remove, and thread the new ones on the same number of turns. Far from scientific or deadly accurate, but will get you close enough to get to the alignment shop.

Martin
I use the turn counting method plus orange spray paint. Then I do my own alignment.

OP, this is an easy job. I recently replaced the passenger side rack boot on my steering rack, had to remove and replace the tie rod. Nothing to it.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by migbro
I use the turn counting method plus orange spray paint. Then I do my own alignment.

OP, this is an easy job. I recently replaced the passenger side rack boot on my steering rack, had to remove and replace the tie rod. Nothing to it.

How much can be done to the rack without having to drop the sub-frame?

From the picture below, it seems like I have a power steering fluid leak. The boot that you changed is covered with fluid but does not appear to be torn.

Never have I had any steering issues and am hoping I do not have to go the route of rack and pinon.

TIA

Old 12-29-2015, 09:33 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why do you think you have a power steering fluid leak? It's impossible to tell from that pic what that fluid is or where it's coming from. The boot in your pic is on the drive axle not the rack btw.

I doubt that's a power steering fluid leak as there's a relatively small amount of fluid in the power steering circuit. If it were leaking that much you'd be topping off the power steering reservoir constantly.

If it is in fact a power steering fluid leak, the first thing to try is a fluid exchange, an Auto-Rx treatment and a Magnefine in-line filter.

Last edited by migbro; 12-29-2015 at 09:38 PM.