Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Posted on wrong forum please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 12:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Posted on wrong forum please help

so I just got a new battery today for my Volvo s40 2001 seems that it had just a battery problem well I take it that's not the case any more I am having to start the car countless times id say about 10-20 times with in just a matter of 10 minutes it sounds like it wants to turn over but it just wont turn over or that it wants to stay running but it wont it just stops and or that its not getting enough power from the battery, I'm thinking a starter problem if that was it though it wouldn't even turn over right but I don't know anymore since I just got a new battery today and ended having to get a jump because of me starting it so many times it killed my new battery. so I don't know what else to think of I'm not the best at knowing cars but on top of all that that I also have a crack in my radiator hose it wont hold any liquid I put In it and if it dose it just spays out of the hose like crazy. oh yeah and one more to top off all theses problems I'm trying to figure out I also have problem when after driving for maybe no longer then 30 minutes to a hour I come to a full stop and my car just starts making a weird putting sound then either dies out on me or keeps making that same sound, I look at the rpms and when its doing the putting sound it shows that the car is revving its self between 1 to 2 rpms with out me pressing the gas or any sort of thing for it to rev its self. I took a video of it doing that, I want to post to help people to better understand but I just don't know much about this site at the moment someone please help a guy out thanks.

Old 04-27-2017, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 487 Likes on 468 Posts

your post is kind of confusing so I will try to break out the issues.

1. Is the check engine light on, and have you had any OBD2 codes scanned? (Autozone will do this for free)

2. After you installed the new battery does the car start right up? I don't understand the comment about frequent starts - is that because the car stalls or because it cranks a long time before catching? If the car cranks a long time before finally catching on a cold start, the most likely cause is the fuel pressure regulator (easy fix, expensive part). If the car stalls randomly, then you may have a fuel pressure problem due to a fuel pump or fuel pump relay issue.

3. The upper radiator hose is a common problem area. Again its an easy fix, expensive part as the hose has multiple attachments. You'd want to also inspect other hoses and the radiator itself (particularly down the side caps to make sure its not leaking there).

4. The putting sound at idle needs to be listened to from outside the car. A common problem area is the flex pipe in the exhaust system that is between the turbocharger and the catalytic converter. This can develop into an exhaust leak that may get worse as the exhaust heats up. Generally speaking problems with maintaining an idle can be fuel pressure related or air leaks - so inspect the intake tubing, vacuum lines and listen or feel around for exhaust leaks.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FCP Euro has the radiator hose for $14.49 https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...0-v40-30822040

The idle issue sounds like the idle air control valve. These usually just need to be cleaned but you will need a replacement gasket. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...40-v40-9470027

https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...ic.php?t=41823