Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Radio Freeze Fixed (I hope)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 11:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Radio Freeze Fixed (I hope)

This is another old topic but I have heard of several others having this problem and I think I finally have mine fixed.

I have a 2005 V50 with the Premium Sound System. If the radio is On when I turn the car off then turn the car On the radio plays until I press one of the station presets. When I do, the sound goes out and the display continues to show the previously played station except the preset number changes. It will reset if I turn the radio Off, then On and wait about 20 seconds. Sometimes I have to do this a few times. Then it works fine. It does this about 75% of the time and more when it is cold out. The dealer has reloaded software several times, replaced the ICM and reloaded software again.

When I picked up the car today they said that they upgraded the software for the "Radio" (30667242-9 Total Upgrade MOST) according to TNN 39-48. They said the previous updates were for the ICM. I checked my records and apparently they are correct. Why they didn't try this before is a mystery. Anyway, so far so good. I tried the radio 20 times and no freeze. It does seem to freeze more when it is cold out and today was 95 deg, so we will keep watching.

The software part numbers needed are:
30667220-5 ICM Upgrade
30667242-9 Total Upgrade

Stan

Old 05-28-2010, 11:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Why they didn't try this before is a mystery." AutoNaut

They simply did not know about it possibly. Little info. for all.

Important regarding the PI seek message!

After the upgrade is downloaded ensure that the AF (alternate frequency) box is not checked
by the following method ; Turn radio on , select FM radio function then " FM menu" /
"Advanced radio settings" / AF … make sure the box does not have an "X" in it then press
the "exit" button .

Although "AF is off by default, the customer may have selected the function without realizing
it, thus introducing the "PI seek" scenario.

Background information on PI seek and RDS (Radio Data System)

Many radio stations across North America are now broadcasting RDS signals. RDS signals
include various information , including : PTY program type, ( Rock, Classical, Talk … ) ;
News or traffic updates ; and Alternative Frequency AF . The intent of Alternative Frequency
(AF) within RDS is to make a particular network of stations available for listening over long
distances of travel. For example: a customer will be able to listen to WXYZ while traveling
down the entire east coast. WXYZ would be broadcast on different frequencies down the
coast. However, this system is not yet widely implemented in the United States.
When a frequency which is broadcasting RDS data is stored as a preset, the RDS
information is also memorized; within this stored data is an Alternative Frequency list. If there
is no information supplied by the broadcaster in the Alternative Frequency list and the stored
station is out range, the message "PI seek" will be displayed. This is the radio's normal
response when it cannot find an alternative frequency if the AF function is turned on.

Last edited by SVTfocusO3; 05-28-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That could be but the TNN says to upgrade both the ICM and the Total MOST (radio) software together.