Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Ref: Cat con removing, inspection, refit!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010 | 03:52 AM
|
Question Ref: Cat con removing, inspection, refit!!

Hi all,

Was just wondering if i can safely remove my cat convertor without any major hassles, what do i have to do, is it safe to remove it, can i do a physical inspection on it if removed.

Thnx

BraderzMMX

Old 02-16-2010 | 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by BraderzMMX
Hi all,

Was just wondering if i can safely remove my cat convertor without any major hassles, what do i have to do, is it safe to remove it, can i do a physical inspection on it if removed.

Thnx

BraderzMMX
Ok, I'll bite. If your car has to go through emission inspection you will very likely be hassled by the inspector. If you don't have a good way to lift the car off the ground it will be a major hassle to remove the converter. If you remove it, it should be very easy to inspect. In fact, it will be much easier to perform a complete physical inspection of the converter when it is off the car.

All that said, I have heard of other folks removing one or both of the converters. You may have issues with the back O2 sensor as it expects the converter to be there.

Old 02-17-2010 | 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by AutoNaut
Ok, I'll bite. If your car has to go through emission inspection you will very likely be hassled by the inspector. If you don't have a good way to lift the car off the ground it will be a major hassle to remove the converter. If you remove it, it should be very easy to inspect. In fact, it will be much easier to perform a complete physical inspection of the converter when it is off the car.

All that said, I have heard of other folks removing one or both of the converters. You may have issues with the back O2 sensor as it expects the converter to be there.
I was under the impression that removing the second cat didn't mess with O2 sensors...