Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

S40 intermittant starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S40 intermittant starting problem

Hello, I've looked at many starting problem posts, but none seem to be the same as mine. First, I'm Frank an experienced (old) backyard mechanic that is new to this forum and to Volvo. I'm more into antique cars. I have a 2003 S40 1.9T with 107K miles. The car is an automatic and was very well maintained by the previous owner. I just put it on the road after about a year sitting idle. The car ran strong for about 80 miles with several stops and start-ups; then when cranking to start, it fired, but "shuddered" and shut down. Further cranking gave the impression that it wanted to start, but would not. The car sat overnight, I went to my garage to get my tow dolly to take there with the thought that I would need to use the winch. Just for "fun" I tried to start it; it fired right up and ran well. I took it to the garage on the dolly, it restarted there to back it off and ran for 15-20 minutes before I shut it off. It refired instantly again as if there had never been a problem. Any ideas? I thought I would start with a new fuel filter, since the problem seemed to be related to lack of fuel. My son had V40 that started hard, a new FPR fixed that, but this doesn't seem the same. Thanks in advance for any help, I really enjoy this type of forum.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:19 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Could have been a bit of bad gas? Have you put new fuel in since it sat for so long?

These cars hate any electrical glitches too. How is the battery? You will find the 2000-2004 models eat headlight bulbs regularly. You have to be gentle replacing the bulbs as you can easily crack the plastic inside the housing.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:23 AM

Thanks, I did add fuel, but could be some of the old still affecting the run. I'll add dry gas when I change the filter.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:06 PM

I had some hard staring issues once due to a bad coolant temperature sensor...

Old 07-23-2013, 04:53 PM

Well, I changed the fuel filter, added dry gas, and premium fuel. It ran fine for two days, then back to the no start after running for a while. I got it to my garage, and now it won't start at all. I made some checks, and found no fuel pressure; I went to the pump, and no power at the pump; went to the under hood fuse box, and found no power at the fuse (key on in run position). I am now officially baffled; any suggestions as to where to look next? Thanks, I really appreciate this type of help each other forum. Frank

Old 07-23-2013, 09:37 PM

Try checking for power while cranking the engine. On some vehicles the power to the fuel pump is removed after a couple seconds if the key is left on but not turned to start. If so then you have a dead fuel pump by your description.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:55 PM

Thanks, I applied power directly to the pump with my jump box and the car ran. Do you know if power to the pump is delivered through the ECM? I am concerned that if it does that the ECM might be bad in that section, or could it be a ground issue?

Old 07-24-2013, 08:13 PM

Pumps need lots of amps so there is a relay somewhere.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:19 PM

The latest update is that I have power at the underhood fuse when cranking or the first few seconds of the "on" position (normal condition) I still do not have power at the pump, and I can't find a relay for the pump. The British Haynes shows it in the under hood power box, but the loction has no wiring or relay in the position shown. I pulled the under column panel, and changed each relay there with a known good one, and did not get a positive result. I traced the wiring from the rear to the front and will try to see if there is continuety from the front to the back, but will need to remove several components to get to the multi-plug that ends there. Any suggestions before I tear into it further?

Thanks

Old 07-29-2013, 07:19 PM

Thought I'd follow up one more time just to let anyone following this that I found a break at a previous repair in the hot line to the pump. A "crimp" connection was used that had pulled apart. I repaired with a solder joint, and all is well; the car is up and running again. Persistence and little encouragement here got the job done. Thanks Hudini and Athilla for your input. Frank

Old 07-30-2013, 07:14 AM

That is good feedback. You think this was a factory repair or the previous owner?