Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

S40 oil in plugs

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 01:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S40 oil in plugs

Went to change the coil packs on an 07 S40 non-turbo and found oil atop the valve cover right around the coil pack for what I assume is cylinder 1 (the passenger side cylinder) and after pulling the pack found it to be covered in oil. I haven't pulled the spark plug yet, wanted to get some info first, but from what I'm describing, is it a fair assessment that I just need to replace the valve cover gasket. Also, I'm sure there's a thread about this here somewhere but I didn't find one in my search and didn't feel like thumbing through 359 pages of forums to find it. I'm new so if there's a better way to search then please let me know by all means. Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 07-28-2018, 08:29 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

There really is no valve cover gasket. I will assume that you are running the 2.4 5-cylinder non turbo engine. The most common source of the oil on top of the engine is a leaking oil cap seal. Yours is old enough to have been leaking for a while. Remove the cap and you will see the seal. Buy a few online as they are cheap. With a small screwdriver, pry up on your seal and I bet it breaks like a potato chip.

The other less likely source is the top breather hose. Almost always, it is the oil cap seal leaking.

All you can do is dry up the oil. If you remove the plug and it drains into the cylinder, it will give a bit of smoke at startup and that's about all. Look in the section for general Volvo chat and I covered this issue in my list of tips.

https://volvoforums.com/forum/genera...-owners-97149/

Old 07-28-2018, 09:01 AM

It's funny, when I removed the cover I assumed it was an oil cap issue as the oil was right around the fill tube. It wasn't until I pulled the coil that I assumed there was a gasket issue lower down. Thanks Tony, I'll give it a shot and keep posted here. Thanks also for the link, lots of good info there.

Originally Posted by tony1963
There really is no valve cover gasket. I will assume that you are running the 2.4 5-cylinder non turbo engine. The most common source of the oil on top of the engine is a leaking oil cap seal. Yours is old enough to have been leaking for a while. Remove the cap and you will see the seal. Buy a few online as they are cheap. With a small screwdriver, pry up on your seal and I bet it breaks like a potato chip.

The other less likely source is the top breather hose. Almost always, it is the oil cap seal leaking.

All you can do is dry up the oil. If you remove the plug and it drains into the cylinder, it will give a bit of smoke at startup and that's about all. Look in the section for general Volvo chat and I covered this issue in my list of tips.

https://volvoforums.com/forum/genera...-owners-97149/

Old 07-28-2018, 09:03 AM

I should know better by now than to assume, but that's what I turn to places like this for, to save myself from throwing parts at the problem lol.