Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

S40 still acting weird and check engine on again.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 11:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S40 still acting weird and check engine on again.

I have an 01 s40 1.9Turbo.Heres my story...
The check engine light has been on for a wile. The car was running fine so I wasnt too worried about it. Lately my problem started when the car had a noise that sounded like plastic hitting plastic. The car died. After that, the car would not idol. I had to keep my foot on the gas to keep it running.
I decided to adjust the idol screw and cable to keep it running. It idols too high but stays running now unless I turn my AC on. The load will make it die sometimes.
I decided to take it to Autozone to have the codes checked. I got 16 codes. Some repeat but basicly it was
Idol Control Valve
Oxygen Sen. (bank one)
misfire on cylinder 2, 3 and 4.
The first thing I did was replace the spark plugs. and air filter.
Ran the codes, same thing but the car seemed to run a little better.
I then put in a Oxygen Sensor. I replaced the one on the back of the motor near the manafold.
I ran the code ( I cleared it each time by the way)
I got idol control and misfire again...
I changed out the coil for cylinder 2. RAN GREAT!!! I cleared the code and it stayed off...for about 4 hours.
When it came back on, I stoped in to Autozone again. We ran the codes and I am still getting the same oxygen sensor! The car seems to run ok except sometimes, when sitting at a light, I barely touch the gas to take off and it acts like its flooding out. As a matter of fact, When I start the car, I smell gas like its flooding out some. This check engine light is driving me nuts. I have cleaned the trottle body sort of... I took off the hose and the plastic shroud. I sprayed it with cleaner. I put the hose back on and Im getting the same thing...

NOW, dont think its any of these problems, I am thinking I am having a vaccume leak. The reason, When I mash on the gas, I noticed that the recirculate button on my air conditioning goes out.
Here are my questions....

1. What should I try next?

2. Should I change the other coil?

3. Taking the trottle body off looks hard. Is there a step by step instructions with pictures somewhere?

4. I think Autozone is getting tired of seeing me, How can I read these codes and reset it without bothering them? My old car could be done with a paperclip and counting the blinks on the dash.

5. How can I find a vaccume leak?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks

Old 09-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: S40 still acting weird and check engine on again.

1. Is the idle motor hose from the intake to the intercooler torn?
2. I would change the other coil and the 2 wires.
3. I would leave the throttle body alone.
4. Buy a scanner.
5. You can check for a vacuum leak by using Carb cleaner with the car running and spray around all hoses and the intake manifold.

Also if all else fails look really closely in the hose from the Mass Flow sensor to the turbo. There is an electronic valve in the hose just before the turbo. Try tapping it with a long screwdriver and see if it idles after that. That valve might be bad. I had one like that about 1 month ago.

Also locate the fuel pressure regulator pull the vacuum line off at the intake and see if gas comes out. If so then it is bad and should also be replaced.