Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

sputtering at hard acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 10:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sputtering at hard acceleration

Engine sputtering/cutting out when I "romp on it", why? Secondly, where are the spark plugs and it is feasible for me (moderate motorcycle/american automotive mechanical knowledge) to change them. Is the sputering when I "gun it" coming from and dirty throttle body, bad turbo, plugs, injectors, etc...??? I am lost.
Also what are "Volvo" plugs, I just bought 4 Bosch coppers, is that OK?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ANY AND ALL HELP WITH THIS MATTER.

BRIAN HARSTON

Old 03-02-2006, 10:25 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: sputtering at hard acceleration

The spark plugs are under the black cover on the top of the engine. Remove the cover you will see 2 coils and 2 spark plug wires. Try changing the spark plugs first. They are easy.

If you still have the same problem then it will be the coils. They are known to go bad.

Those are the 2 main causes of the problem you describe.

Old 03-03-2006, 12:15 AM

ya bosch plugs are known to give problems, get the volvo plugs.....something about those bosch plugs.. they dont seem to click right with volvo's

Old 03-04-2006, 08:27 PM

I just got done replacing the plugs, absolutely no change. The Shudder/Lack of power begins as soon as the pedal is floored. It sort of "bucks" a little bit (please forgive the idiotic terminology) Should I just try the coils next, or is this maybe a transmission issue. (The volvo plugs I took out didn't look that bad either) also, if you gradually accelerate you get acceptable performance. The problem is only when you aggressively accelerate.

thank you for your help, brian

Old 03-04-2006, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Yes replace the coils.

It is a 50/50 shot everytime. Half of the times the coils are bad the other half it is the plugs.

I have been down this road about 100 times or more already.

Old 03-05-2006, 02:18 AM

Heh, Tech knows his material!
By the way tech, I just got my car back after its BIG 30k service tune up at 58.5k mileage, AND IT RUNS SOO SMOOTH AND SOOO SOFT and it has its turbo bite back. They told me everything looked perfect. So I'm happy, and not worried about my turbo's(remember when they were making the noise?) It runs like brand new(knock on wood)!

Old 03-05-2006, 03:15 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: gordon368

Heh, Tech knows his material!
By the way tech, I just got my car back after its BIG 30k service tune up at 58.5k mileage, AND IT RUNS SOO SMOOTH AND SOOO SOFT and it has its turbo bite back. They told me everything looked perfect. So I'm happy, and not worried about my turbo's(remember when they were making the noise?) It runs like brand new(knock on wood)!
CONGRATS[sm=burnout.gif][sm=gears.gif]

Old 03-06-2006, 03:16 AM

when I replaced the plugs i used Bosch copper OEM style. Are those OK or should I just suck it up and go to the dealership and by the actual Volvo plugs? I have also noticed today most recently that it is missing/ stuttering worse at medium-hard acceleration going up hill (which there are a lot of; I live in North Carolina at Ft. Bragg). Does this still sound like all ignition coils and plug/ fuel ignition problems, or is there a possibility of transmission malfunction. I hate to keep asking about the tranny, I am just really nervous about such a mounumental expense. It does shift very smoothly at normal acceleration, and the revs do not go up when it stutters. Am i just being paranoid?

thank you agin for your great tips and advice.

Old 03-06-2006, 02:17 PM

I dont mean to tail on your post but I talked to my dealer a few months ago and he told me there have been no coil issues with the S40, I also goes on to tell me they are not available in canada yet. I had the plugs replaced and that fixed most of it except for a little miss fire when I am cold and idleing. This might be the coils.

If you had the plugs done the copper you put in will be fine, just remember to change them more often. I think you have coil problem as do I.

Old 03-06-2006, 08:51 PM
Administrator

I would still say Coils.

Old 03-06-2006, 11:17 PM

i already ordered 1 because i remember reading somewhere that they usually go out one at a time. Is this true and if it is should I just install the new coil, test drive and check for problem and if problem still exists then go back and put coil on other cylinder? (I do understand that there could still be a problem because both may potentially be bad and the only way to eliminate or figure it out would be to install two new ones at same time?

P.S. What about the plugs, are the bosch coppers ok or should I go to the dealership.

thanks, brian

Old 03-07-2006, 12:48 AM
Administrator

Yes since you only ordered one install and try.

The plugs you have will work fine for now. Next time I would buy the Volvo ones if it was me.

Old 03-09-2006, 01:00 AM

My volvo seems to have started doing the same thing, went to the mall and on the way back home, i stomped on the pedal and it starting sputtering and felt like i was riding on the "rumble strips" on the side of the road or somthing. i noticed that if i accelerated very easily that it would be fine no shaking or sputtering, but once i put the gas pedal down just alittle more it would "spudder". Once i came to a red light though and off the highway, at a dead stop it sounded like the car was about to stall or die on me. Any more thoughts on this at all??

Old 03-09-2006, 02:12 AM
Administrator

Do the plugs first and if it still does it replace teh coils.

Old 03-11-2006, 11:55 PM

i changed the one coil, no good. then swithed the new coil over to the other cylinder, still nothing. still having the sputtering/check engine light flashing then staying on happening. i ordered the second coil. i sure hope that cures it. it should be here by next wednesday (i paid 57.10 USD is that an alright price?) is there anything else, within reason, that it could be?

thank you,

brian

Old 03-12-2006, 12:35 AM
Administrator

That is a good price.
You might also want to check the plugs. I know they are new but the car might not like them.
We use Bosch Platinum in all the cars we work on.

Old 03-12-2006, 01:05 PM

i just wanted to say thankss for all your help and advice throughout this process so far. I hope this fixes it it. never-the-less, it is really great of you to give of your own free time and valuable (monetarily and practical) knowledge to help people like me, so thanks.

brian

Old 03-12-2006, 01:08 PM
Administrator

No problem Im glad I can come here and Help people.

I never had help like this when I was young and had to figure out stuff like this on my own. Couldn't afford to have someone fix it. Thats why I come here to share what I know to help others less fortunate then me.

Old 03-15-2006, 11:33 PM

thank you so very much for your help, the new plugs and coils did the trick, she runs like a champ. I was wandering if you could tell me how to get the "check engine" light off. once again TECH i want to thank you for helping me out, you probably saved me a thousand dollars. when country boys like me buy swedish cars with turbochargers only expensive and bad things can come from automotive malfunctions!

thank you,

brian harston

Old 03-17-2006, 01:52 PM

I will tell you how to get the light off, depending which one you are talking about
turn you ignition key to last click before start and hold the trip reset button until light goes off.

I am think tech we should make a sticky or something about this plug problem. they are really starting to get annoying.

Quick Reply: sputtering at hard acceleration