Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

sputtering at hard acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 08:26 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: sputtering at hard acceleration

ORIGINAL: ZIGZAG

I will tell you how to get the light off, depending which one you are talking about
turn you ignition key to last click before start and hold the trip reset button until light goes off.

I am think tech we should make a sticky or something about this plug problem. they are really starting to get annoying.
That is for the service light not the Check engine light.

For the check engine light go to Auto zone or Discount Auto parts and see if they will read codes and clear them.

Old 03-20-2006, 01:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you didnt get the check engine light off yet, you can go to your local autozone and they can take it off for free.

Old 03-23-2006, 02:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tech, it just started gping the same thing again today. is it the bosch platinum plugs i put in or could it be some thing else. i put two brand new volvo coils in and the problem subsided for a week, had the codes cleared and they atayed of. it ran perfect for a week, then all of the sudden the sputtering at hard acceleration started again.

thanks,

brian harston

Old 03-23-2006, 05:57 PM

I bet you its the bosch plugs, use Volvo plugs, even though they fit, the tips on the boschs plugs are different than the volvo plugs.

Old 03-23-2006, 10:42 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Get Volvo plugs.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:22 AM

Awwh now! I'm on the edge of my seat! What the hell happened? Did the plugs fix it???

Old 08-09-2007, 06:14 PM

My S40 (03) is having a similar issue. I have done volvo plugs and new coils. Car runs better but under hard acceleration it feels like the turbo is 'kicking' on and off. Just not very consistent acceleration. Sometimes the car feels brand new and others like I never changed plugs/coils. May be a different issue but if his S40 does the same after plugs/coils I would say it's similar.

Problem is it's so darn intermittent. My 2c. Thx

Old 08-09-2007, 07:29 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

In addition to the advice given so far:

Ask FCP Groton about the shipping fees to Canada. A set of Volvo plugs are US$28.50.

http://www.fcpgroton.com/sv40/sv40tuneup.htm

And their shipping policy:
http://www.fcpgroton.com/shipping.htm

Before youclick on "Place Order" or whatever the ultimate button, they should give you the total cost. If not in CDN$, call & ask. If it turns out more expensive than getting them at a local dealer, then you want them from the dealer (or eBay?).

Tech, could the problem also be something in the ECU or one of the sensors?

JPN

Old 08-20-2007, 11:45 PM

Are these turbo cars? The 03 and this one? I'll throw a 20-1 shot out there:

The spring rate of your diverter valvle has decreased and the turbo is unable to build and hold the intake pressure. As teh turbo spools, the diverter valve begins to dump (divert) pressure before full pressure is reached. As it diverts, the power drops. Once the pressure is low enough for the valve to close, turbo begins to spool again until it the valve can no longer sustain the pressure and dumps it again.

Yeah, I'm fishin' . . .

Old 08-21-2007, 07:22 AM

Mine is a turbo and i'm assuming the other one is to.

Fishing, but definitely possible. The symptoms you are describing are pretty accurate. Now...what the heck is that diverter spring/assembly and where is it? Thanks for the shot in the dark, at this point i'm willing to try/test as long as the part(s)are within $$ reason.

Thanks again.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:27 PM

Any thoughts on the following product? I'm assuming this is the valve you were referencing.
http://www.forgemotorsport.com/conte...roduct=FMFK049

Old 08-21-2007, 11:40 PM

Actually, no. Those dump to atmosphere. The diverter is sometimes called a recirc and there's a book of threads in the forum somewhere that explain all that, so I won't duplicate it here.

Nevertheless, if my theory holds a drop of water, I guess these are what I'm talking about: http://www.forgemotorsport.com/conte...roduct=FMDVTUN I guess you replace the springs in your valve with these. The stronger the spring, the higher the boost. But then, I'm no mechanic.

Sure sounds simple enough. Oh and let us know how it turns out if you go for it . . .

Old 08-22-2007, 12:31 PM

Turbo control valve

Old 08-25-2007, 01:37 AM

What is VOLVOCOMMANDO's 6th post, Alex.

Ar you following me VOLVOVANDAM?

Old 10-11-2007, 03:29 PM

Plug gap is critical in this application.

Originally I had put them at around 35 thousandths. no change. Put the gap down to 25.

WILL RIP THE TIRES OFF THE CAR.

J

Old 10-12-2007, 07:14 AM

I had the same problem and thought it was the plugs also. Not until i looked very closely at the 2 ignition coils, there were fine hairline cracks running all the way down the posts of them. Replaced them and totally fixed the problem. Tech knows what he is talking about!!!!

Old 10-12-2007, 11:55 AM

Are the Volvo OEM plugs pre-gapped?

Old 10-12-2007, 12:51 PM

Iwouldn't go for "VOLVO" plugs due tothe price, anice set of ngk's would be sufficient.

I would stray from copper and from whatI haveread the swedes don't like bosch all too much. so yea... ngk or w/e a volvo plug is. I really doubt they make their own plugs.

Infact if you had enough money, you toocould have your name on a spark plug. haha.

They are more less a convenience item for the back yard do it your selfer who do not know and or do not want to bother with gapping, etc.

J

Old 10-13-2007, 10:33 PM

I am sorry guys for interruption, but I have some problem it looks the same. Volvo s40 2.9T, 2001. When I change the plugs and start the car I was shocked it works like old tractor and shaking vibration, smelly smoke from muffler, also I couldn't drive any where it not going just making clicking noise like some ting doesn't work.I am not professional but looks like ignition problem. Please guys could you help me with this, I will be very grateful. [&o]
have a good one.
[/align]

Old 11-17-2007, 05:13 PM

I recently purchased a used 01 S40 for my wife and it's having the exact same problem. I'll try replacing the plugs first and then the coils if that doesn't do it. Question I have is if this doesn't do it what would be the next most likely cause?

Quick Reply: sputtering at hard acceleration