Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Strange rubbing noise under deceleration

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange rubbing noise under deceleration

I have just recently installed my tie rods on my 2004.5 volvo S40 T5 and went a few days with no new noises but a week ago i noticed that when i accelerated and let off that there was a strange rubbing noise up front. Everything with the brakes and transmission seem to be in order, if anyone has dealt with the same problem i would really appreciate your help. The noise either becomes faster or slower depending on how fast you are going.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:37 PM
Received 108 Likes on 104 Posts

Did you have the car aligned after replacing the tie rods?

Old 04-23-2019, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by habbyguy
Did you have the car aligned after replacing the tie rods?
Yes, there was no new noises for three days after my alignment. I should clarify deceleration... The noise would only occur when i would be completely off the throttle, it would stop whenever i braked or gave it throttle. Ive thought about it being the CV axel but not to sure any suggestions are really appreciated!✌

Old 04-23-2019, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Kaden Morse
Yes, there was no new noises for three days after my alignment. I should clarify deceleration... The noise would only occur when i would be completely off the throttle, it would stop whenever i braked or gave it throttle. Ive thought about it being the CV axel but not to sure any suggestions are really appreciated!✌
The sound has now progressed into a loud rapid thunking/thud noise, im able to feel the constant thuds while driving it seems the be more on the drivers side(left side).

Old 04-24-2019, 09:59 AM
Received 108 Likes on 104 Posts

My bet would be the CV axle. A worn CV joint can cause all sorts of noises and vibrations, and will change when you go on / off the throttle. There aren't many other "rotating bits" that are likely to be the cause.

FWIW, I went through my first set of replacement axles in just a couple thousand miles (they were SureTrack axles - Chinese knock-offs that just didn't work out). I replaced those with rebuilt Volvo axles from Cardone. I think there's a possibility of getting an axle from Cardone that might not be 100.00%, but the cost is a small (!) fraction of the Volvo price. Even better, swapping the axles isn't really a tough job. Just be sure to use a torque wrench and follow the procedure for torqueing the axle bolts, and I'd strongly suggest replacing both axles..

Old 04-24-2019, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by habbyguy
My bet would be the CV axle. A worn CV joint can cause all sorts of noises and vibrations, and will change when you go on / off the throttle. There aren't many other "rotating bits" that are likely to be the cause.

FWIW, I went through my first set of replacement axles in just a couple thousand miles (they were SureTrack axles - Chinese knock-offs that just didn't work out). I replaced those with rebuilt Volvo axles from Cardone. I think there's a possibility of getting an axle from Cardone that might not be 100.00%, but the cost is a small (!) fraction of the Volvo price. Even better, swapping the axles isn't really a tough job. Just be sure to use a torque wrench and follow the procedure for torqueing the axle bolts, and I'd strongly suggest replacing both axles..
Thank you im going to try replacing the axels over the weekend i will post again if something comes up i really appreciate everything!