Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Sunroof Removal and install

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 03:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof Removal and install

Hello all,

My sunroof recently shattered, and I was wondering if there was any detailed instructions for just the glass part? I've purchased the sunroof glass (even though it came with everything including tracks and motor) and I need instructions on removal of the glass from the purchased part.

Of course install SHOULDd be reversal of removal. After research, found one thread regarding removal, but I also found simplified removal of the sunroof glass removal on google. Which one is correct? Is there more to the 4 screws and 2 C clips as mentioned on google?

Again, thanks for all the help in my previous threads. Shout out to Hudini and rspi, who've pretty much responded to all my threads!!!!

Chris

Old 07-08-2014, 06:28 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Old 07-10-2014, 10:15 AM

It's #836 in VIDA:

Basically, you remove the clip-on bellows side moldings, then remove the four fastening screws. You will have to adjust the glass height on re-install.

You can get a VMware image of VIDA for free. Search Google for "VMware VIDA"

Old 07-10-2014, 04:13 PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention the Volvo is a 2001 S40. Would it be fairly the same? Has the sunroof's changed that much from the model in the video to now? It seems similar. Just wondering since I didnt want to ruin anything, of course i'll test on the parts i've purchased first.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:02 AM

VIDA is your friend:

Remove:
Name:  0900c8af80125ec2_0_0_zpsac2a5234.gif
Views: 4448
Size:  12.8 KB

• The two mounting screws (A), left and right
  • The spring clip for the front hinge screw, right and left
  • Lift the glass panel and press out the mountings for the guide rails at the rear and in the center
  • Remove the glass panel.
Install:
Name:  0900c8af80125ec5_0_0_zps3ce1354e.gif
Views: 3497
Size:  15.3 KB

• Position the glass panel
  • Position the mounting points for the front hinge. Install the spring clip on the left and right
  • Position the rear hinge. Finger tighten the screws (A).
  • Adjusting the glass panel in the roof opening
  • Open and close the sun roof by sliding it forwards and back; do not tilt it!
  • Adjust the glass panel so that the gap is the same width all the way around it (using a piece of paper, check that the resistance is the same all the way around)
  • Tighten the screws to 5 Nm
  • Open and close the sun roof one more time by sliding it forwards and back,
    repeat the check.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:02 AM

Thank you all for the information. I've installed and it works perfectly. I do have a question. My 2001 had some kind of thick felt surrounding on the outside of the glass, while the glass i received is more of a rubber surrounding. Is the glass based on the year of S40 they were installed? I'm wondering why they didnt stick with the exact same glass from 2000-2004 since it's the same part number.

Again, I've appreciated all the help very much.

Next projects

-New headlights
-Readjusting the front and rear bumpers due to some parking lot incidents, of course i was in the store and no notes/messages were left.
-Replace windshield wiper arms due to being approximately 14 yrs old and they are now starting to warp and lift away from the windshield. I've read to just bend them a bit to get them to contact the windshield through the full motion. Is this correct?
-Antennae replacement
-Hood arm that holds the hood up? It's shot, have to replace.
-Possibly look into T5 engine replacement, (if possible)

Old 08-10-2014, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Chris.Mack.80
Thank you all for the information. I've installed and it works perfectly. I do have a question. My 2001 had some kind of thick felt surrounding on the outside of the glass, while the glass i received is more of a rubber surrounding. Is the glass based on the year of S40 they were installed? I'm wondering why they didnt stick with the exact same glass from 2000-2004 since it's the same part number.
My 2006 has the clever rubber flexi-gasket. The rubber gasket works fine for me. The principle is NOT to seal out all water, but to keep the seep to a level that can be carried away by the drain tubes at each corner. A design change just represents an improved part. Don't forget to make sure all four (especially the two front) drain tubes are clear and well positioned in their connectors. There are three rubber fittings and two lengths of 1/2" tube on each front corner.