Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Timing Belt Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 07:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt Replacement Question

Hello, I have a 2004 S 40 Turbo, with 99,994 miles on it, The owners booklet tells me to replace the timing belt at 105,000 miles for around 600 dollars. The dealer tells me his non-Volvo recomendation is 130,000 miles.

When should I replace this?
And I when I need brakes and rotors , should I only use genuine Volvo parts?

thanks

Dennis

Old 01-27-2010, 05:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sooner rather than later.

Especially with stop and go traffic. You can always pull the cover off and give it a look for cracks, etc.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:46 PM
Exclamation Little Volvo food for thought!

Hello Dennis,

My recommendation is also as soon as possible, and for that price sounds about right.

I am going to have to disagree with you on the non Volvo recommendation though, because the reason its recommended is because Volvo conducts test after test on wear and tear of their timing belts and once they have finished their analysis of the data they make an average estimate of the longevity of the timing belt and other components of the car. Replacement as quickly as possible would be better.

In regards to the brakes and rotors, you do not necessarily need to use Volvo specific pads, granted they need to fit; they do not need to be specifically manufactured by Volvo. Neither do the rotors or the brake lines or the piston callipers themselves. As long as you are able to bolt properly the brake lines and the callipers around the rotor properly (with professional installation recommended), then you should be okay. Now, with that said, make sure they are good quality products, the last place you want to buy the “cheap stuff” is on your brakes, and otherwise it could be a catastrophe in an emergency situation. You do not necessarily have to buy top of the line products but do some research first before purchasing the parts.

If you have any questions or concerns or website recommendations feel free to contact me on the forums or just simply post your questions on the forums and hopefully someone will answer!

Hope this helps!

Old 02-03-2010, 05:01 PM

I agree with e-volve88. I recently bought aftermarket brake discs & rotors for my 04 Volvo S40. I bought my ride from some guy that had all the brakes and discs seriously messed up, so I decided to change them all. I spent under $200.00 in all 4 discs front & rear brake pads. My car is running great and I cannot be happier. I received good quality parts at an excellent price. I got them at qeautoparts.com if any one is interested. Good luck and let me know it any one has any questions. bye