Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Trunk opening when key is in ignition - bad wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2023, 03:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trunk opening when key is in ignition - bad wiring?

Hey there, did a quick search and I seen a lot of people having the opposite problem.

At the moment whenever I put the key in the ignition and then go to the second position after a moment the boot opens. I notice that it's around the same time as the front lights come on when it's at night.

I recently put in an AUTO-VOX W-7 reversing camera in, and I'm thinking this might be the issue. I connected it like this:

Earth to black from the reversing light harness on the left side.

Hot to one of the two green/black wires from the reversing light harness on the left side.

Going to disconnect it and see if this solves my issues on the weekend, but if anyone has any insights as to why this is happening and how I could possibly avoid it with the reversing camera installed that would be a1.

Note - that if I close the boot it does not open again until I turn off the car and turn it on again. It is unaffected by turn signals etc.

Thank you!

Last edited by Bdogg; 05-08-2023 at 03:06 PM. Reason: addendum.
Old 05-10-2023, 08:38 PM

Just an update. I took the reversing camera out, and the problem still persists.

Took a look at the wiring manual and it doesnt seem like the boot lock switch goes anywhere near the lights so I'm a bit perplexed.

If anyone has any advice or shots in the dark, I'm all ears!

Old 05-12-2023, 12:02 PM
Received 108 Likes on 104 Posts

Just thinking it could be as simple as a bad (shorted) boot release button. You might try unplugging it and see if your problem goes away.

The following users liked this post:
Bdogg (05-17-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 10:53 AM

Today I did a bit of troubleshooting.

When I disconnected the cable at the end near the switch itself (behind the fascia above the licence plate) the boot still opened on position two with the key in the ignition.

However when I disconnected the cable at the end inside the trunk, the boot did not open on position two with the key in the ignition. I noticed however that the notification that the trunk is open still came up on the dash.

My theory is that there is some short in the cabling going from the boot to the switch, and I might need to replace the cabling harness.

If anyone else has any other thoughts, or they suspect the same I'd love to hear from you!

The following users liked this post:
DC2007 (12-13-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 05:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bdogg
Today I did a bit of troubleshooting.

When I disconnected the cable at the end near the switch itself (behind the fascia above the licence plate) the boot still opened on position two with the key in the ignition.

However when I disconnected the cable at the end inside the trunk, the boot did not open on position two with the key in the ignition. I noticed however that the notification that the trunk is open still came up on the dash.

My theory is that there is some short in the cabling going from the boot to the switch, and I might need to replace the cabling harness.

If anyone else has any other thoughts, or they suspect the same I'd love to hear from you!

I have got the same issue in my 2009 s40, when I have installed my back camera. Though I have not connect the wires yet.
How did you fixed this issue??