Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Unhappy Cam seal got pushed out again on 2.4i after replacement

Old 08-18-2017, 04:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unhappy Cam seal got pushed out again on 2.4i after replacement

hello

i pulled open the intake manifold today and saw that the intake cam seal is bulging out, this car just had a the exhaust and intake cam seal redone after the intake one started leaking last time due to a whistling pcv, this has a brand new pcv/oil trap installed with brand new hoses , i reused the old elbow hose between the lower intake and the oil/pcv housing as it looked fine , can anyone explain how is it possible the intake cam seal to get pushed out ?

i pushed back the seal in with a thin knife and started the car , from what i can tell it never leaked oil and doesn't appear to have , i put a transparent plastic bag on the oil filler cap and started the car and i can notice a mild vaccum (i noticed the vaccum is far stronger on another 2.4i engine i had checked with my hand that on this car) , further i made someone hold the car to 2500 rpm with the plastic cover sealing the oil cap , and i noticed it inflated and oil splashed on the plastic

here is the gist
intake cam seal replaced previously because of leaking oil near the seal ( the seal remained flush with the camshaft housing), but yet was leaking , i assumed it was pulled in by excessive vaccum from the failing pcv , which did start whistling after i changed seal and started it back , following which i installed a brand new oil housing and new hose which leads from the camcover but i reused the old elbow hose from the lower intake to the pcv trap

now the new intake cam seal got pushed out , which i have never seen before , which obviously means the crankcase is being pressurized , but the oil trap is not howling and there is light vaccum on idle , i removed the lower intake earlier and noticed there is a lot of oil on there , i assume this is normal as i have always seen oil there and the pcv/oil housing is brand new

i am attaching pictures below

picture of the lower intake manifold

Old 08-18-2017, 04:01 AM

hello

the following has been done now

the intake cam seal was pushed back and the car was driven to get a brand new lower intake manifold gasket and new elbow hose from the pcv to lower intake (these parts was reused since last removal) , after the trip i noticed the cam seal got pushed out again , it still din't leak so far

the intake cam seal has been pushed back in again , and the lower intake was removed the with the elbow hose (there was considerable oil in these passageways , considering the fact there is a oil separator inline below , i don't know if the oil i saw is normal ?

with the new gasket and elbow hose installed and everything torqued down to spec, the car was started and allowed to warm up , i removed the oil cap and noticed a faint vaccum in my hands , i followed by putting a transparent plastic zip lock back around the neck of the oil filler and sealing it with my hand and had the engine rev to various ranges of the rpm while inspecting the plastic bag

here are the findings

through most of the rev range the bag remain shriveled and under vaccum , but as soon as the rev hit close to wide open throttle , the bag inflated with considerable pressure and kept inflating a lot there was absolutely no vaccum in this case , i don;t know why this is the cause

i have verified the breather hose leading to the top of the cam cover is not blocked and the pcv/oilfilter housing is a brand new unit , doesn't whistle . kinda stumped now , as the fact that the camcover is being pressurized at high rpm is exactly what is causing the intake cam seal to pop out and oil leaking out the neck of the oil filler cap

if anyone with the same engine can let me know if the oil filler cap is being pressurized under wide open throttle

Old 08-18-2017, 04:02 AM

the intake cam seal was pushed back and the car was driven to get a brand new lower intake manifold gasket and new elbow hose from the pcv to lower intake (these parts was reused since last removal) , after the trip i noticed the cam seal got pushed out again , it still din't leak so far

the intake cam seal has been pushed back in again , and the lower intake was removed the with the elbow hose (there was considerable oil in these passageways , considering the fact there is a oil separator inline below , i don't know if the oil i saw is normal ?

with the new gasket and elbow hose installed and everything torqued down to spec, the car was started and allowed to warm up , i removed the oil cap and noticed a faint vaccum in my hands , i followed by putting a transparent plastic zip lock back around the neck of the oil filler and sealing it with my hand and had the engine rev to various ranges of the rpm while inspecting the plastic bag

here are the findings

through most of the rev range the bag remain shriveled and under vaccum , but as soon as the rev hit close to wide open throttle , the bag inflated with considerable pressure and kept inflating a lot there was absolutely no vaccum in this case , i don;t know why this is the cause

i have verified the breather hose leading to the top of the cam cover is not blocked and the pcv/oilfilter housing is a brand new unit , doesn't whistle . kinda stumped now , as the fact that the camcover is being pressurized at high rpm is exactly what is causing the intake cam seal to pop out and oil leaking out the neck of the oil filler cap

if anyone with the same engine can let me know if the oil filler cap is being pressurized under wide open throttle

Old 08-18-2017, 08:37 AM

hello

here are the findings