Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

VVT Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VVT Question

2007 S40 2.4I 178k miles, 7k since rebuild, 3 yrs ago. Hello all, at my last oil change the mechanic noted on my ticket (and I asked too) my VVT solenoid was leaking and also getting on the timing belt. This raised a few questions of course. As expected they suggested replacing A) the vvt B) all the usual timing components. #1 how does a vvt leak. I see 2 O-rings I would guess about 1st but I dont see them as a separate item. Guessing you have to buy the complete vvt to get the O-rings? Or....(drum roll please) can the mechanical parts wear and leak? Sorta having a hard time wrapping my head around this one. Oh, no codes at all or CELs.

Next, if its getting on the timing belt, then how? Just curious on that one. Plus do I need a full "Kit"? That was done in full not to long ago, pump, idler, belt etc...granted oil on the belt is not ideal but with such few miles I dont think its the end of the world either, at such low miles. 3k in 18 months. Spare car, drive it every 7-10 days just to warm it up, lil charge on the battery and such. Will oil deteriorate a belt?

I have no problem with replacing the vvt but the whole timing kit with parts and labor is fairly expensive. Right down to the water pump...Not something I can do myself.

So opinions, suggestions? Can I clean the O-rings/solenoid. Skip the "Belt"? Maybe I'm just on the hook for this one. Weighing car value vs repair cost. Life goes on...

Thanks everyone!!!

Old 04-29-2019, 06:17 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Have you verified there is actually oil on the belt? Is your mechanic trustworthy?

You mention VVT solenoid but your description sounds like a VVT gear? Yours would be the first I've heard of leaking. If it is the actual VVT gear then you can replace just the gear and belt. No need to replace the other components until the '120,000 miles since new' mark. You don't want oil on the belt. My story is from a 2001 VVT oil leak but oil on the belt caused the belt to slip which trashed my exhaust vales.

If it were me it would be interesting to see if I could find the proper o-rings. However, taking the engine apart several times just to check would be a pain.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You've brought up several good points. Never thought about Timing belt slipping (face plant over here) the vvt gear sounds more logical. I need to investigate this further. I'll get it thru emissions this week end then take some covers off. Any thoughts why or how the oil filter housing would leak too and need replacing? Thanks. Yes I am questioning the shop that Ive used and trusted for 3 years. Maybe time for a second opinion, hmmmm

Big thank you for your reply, I really like the car and want to keep it but my skills and ability on cars have decreased with age. It is what it is.....