Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Windshield Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 07:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Wipers

Hey guys. I'm new to the site and I already have a question. I own a 2007 S40 and had a problem with the windshield wipers this morning. I live in upstate New York and woke up to a huge snow storm this morning. I went out and scraped the car off and started it up and hit the windshield wiper switch and I must not have freed up the wiper blades when I scraped the car off. As soon as I hit the switch the wipers tried to work then I heard a pop and I could hear the wiper motor going back and forth but the blades weren't moving. I got out and freed the blades up and still nothing - the wiper motor was still running and nothing was moving. I saw a post from a few days ago for a similar problem and someone had suggested that the nut that fastens the blades to the wiper motor may have come loose. I don't know if that's my problem or not considering I heard a "pop" just before they stopped working. I'm hoping that's all it is - I'm hoping nothing broke. I opened the hood and tried to figure it out but it was snowing and I was already late for work. So I guess my question is, could someone tell me what this might be, where I should look and will I have to take anything apart to get at whatever it is that is broken or disconnected?

Old 12-12-2008, 07:14 AM
Default RE: Windshield Wipers

my guess is the nut holding the arm to the motor popped. just have a look and see, my 850 nut comes loose every 6 months or so, i just tighten it and go from there, let us know.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:54 PM
Default Windshield Wipers malfunction

Hi, I've got a windshield wiper problem that I hope someone else has experienced...

Symptoms:
* Wipers do not park. They stop anywhere on the windshield when the stalk is released.
* Intermittent function does not work. Nada, nothing.
* Wipers do not operate when washers are activated. The washers spray but the wiper arms don't move.
* Slow and fast speed wiper function works normally.
* The one swipe function works as long as the stalk is held, once the stalk is released, the wiper arms stop anywhere on the windshield.

What I know:
* Both fuses are good and doing their job
* Motor was replaced with a rebuilt unit but the above symptoms remained.

probally is an electronic problem, but where are that circuit, if it's in ECU, where is locate on my volvo? s40 2t 1999

Old 10-11-2015, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

For the park problem, it could be the stalk switch (try wiggling to see if you can induce a change), the relay or the wiring into the relay. Given the fact that the wipers work somewhat but won't park and the intermittant doesn't work, I'd suspect the relay or the switch. volvowiringdiagrams.com may give you some clue as to where the relay is for your year (99's didn't come to the States so I can't say for sure that it's the same as my 2000).

Steve, for the 2007, if you hear the motor running but no wiper action, I'd check the nut on the motor that goes to the rod that activates the arms. then check the nuts that hold the arms to the blades. Given the pop noise, I'd expect to find a broken part like the wiper linkage. here's a pic

WIPER & WASHER COMPONENTS for 2007 Volvo S40