Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2005 S40 Issue with Running Radiator Fan; Starting; AC

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 05:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 S40 Issue with Running Radiator Fan; Starting; AC

Hi! So I just bought a gorgeous 2005 S40 - black with the dark Interior, its in really excellent condition, but it needs tinkering with a few issues to get it back up to speed. I've never owned a Volvo before, so thought I'd check with some of you on the issues:

1. Radiator fan keeps running after car is shut off. Sometimes for 5-10 minutes. Is this normal? Is this something that can be shut off?

2. Has a hard time starting. Battery and alternator have been tested and they’re good. Could it have to do with #1? If not, what could be the issue?

3. AC doesn’t always blow cold. Could this be a condenser clutch issue?

5. We were given a second key with the car, but it doesn’t work. Can it be programmed to work with this car?

Any insights are greatly appreciated!! I just want to get this baby back to top condition.

Old 10-16-2015, 01:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

please get codes pulled this will tell us a little more whats going on with the fan issue but also make sure that you have coolant in the reservoir.

if the battery and alternator checked out then check the ohm resistance on the battery cables. sometimes the cables will corrode through and not allow enough voltage from point A to point B. Are you having slow cranking or excessive cranks to start? is your battery drawing out? please check to see if you sat 1 and sat 2 are functioning or there is at least preview channels or a message saying updating channels. with the satellite radio still awake and trying to find a signal when the car is asleep it will drain the battery and show a 45 mA draw.

usually the a/c compressors fail with these models, but before we assume this lets get the a/c discharged and re-charged. Have who ever is doing the re-charge jot down how much Freon was sucked down. also have them put dye in the system to see if there is any leaks. also have the tech check and jot down the high and low pressures when the a/c is engaging.

please check if the key fob battery is bad by checking the voltage with a multi meter. usually the key fob cannot be reprogrammed without the code when previously programmed. are you sure that the second key is the right one? only keys can be programmed at a Volvo dealer.

please get codes so we can further diagnosis your issues.
good luck, cheers