Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

01 S60 HARD START

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 12:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 S60 HARD START

After receiving an extended warranty notice concerning the fuel pump on my 01 S60,I took my vehicletomy local Volvo dealer to have the fuel pumpreplacedonce I finally noticedthe fuel odor warned of in the extended warranty. Upon inspection, the dealer found that the fuel pump was indeed in need of replacement, and the fuel pump wasthen immediately replaced free of charge. Now that the fuel pump and o-rings have been replaced,I amno longergetting the odor of fuel, but I am having anincreased amount of difficulty in starting my vehicle. Prior to having the fuel pump replaced, as the fuel odor became stronger, I did begin to have hard starts, but now that the fuel pump has been replaced, the problem seems worse than before[:'(]! Any ideas?

Also, although I am new to posting to the forum, I am not at all new to visiting the forum. With my previous 740 and now with my current S60,I have visited the site frequentlyover the years to diagnose and repair everything from the most minor of issues to the most major. The site is an invaluable tool to Volvo owners and is by far the most informative and easiest to navigate of all the major Volvo sites!

Old 10-10-2008, 08:07 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: 01 S60 HARD START

I wonder if it has something to do with when they installed the new pump?
Maybe a hose or something inside the tank is blocked or something like that.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:43 AM

I Would Go with what Tech Said, Somethings Blocked

Possibly Replace the Fuel Filter.

Is it hard to start with a full tank of gas?

When I run my tank down, like less than 100 Miles, It barely starts...lol

Old 10-10-2008, 03:18 PM

I called the dealer and informed them of the hard starts since the replacement of the fuel pump and they want me to bring it back in. Thanks for responding and I'll postthe dealer'sfindings once I take my vehicle back in next week in case any other forum member runs into a similar problem.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:45 PM

With gas prices through the roof, I have been a little stingy at the pump. Now that gas prices have started to drop, I'll see if filling up helps before I take my vehicle back to the dealer next week. Also, I searched the forum and found that problems with a the check valve and/or fuel pressure could also cause hard starts.Couldthese be possible culprits as well, or is a blockage or loosehose the more plausible culprit?

Old 10-10-2008, 04:15 PM
Administrator

The S60 espically the 01 isn't known for the check valve to go bad causing the bleed bad of the fuel.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:44 AM

A few days after my last post, I started my S60 with difficulty "again" and headed off to work. Less than a block later, my vehiclebegan to hesitate and shudder violently. My message center read: "Service Engine System Urgent". After carefully coasting my vehicle home, Icalled the dealer who had JUST replaced my fuel pump a week and a half prior. It was towed to the dealer's shop where I was then told that the ETM (Electronic Throttle Module) fuse had blown and need replacing. After immediately having the fuse replaced, I pulled out of the dealership and made it maybe a mile and a half down the interstate before my vehicle began to hesitate and shudder again with the "Service Engine System Urgent" message illuminated.

Needless to say, I am furious [:@]

As I understand it, Volvo has initiated an extended warranty that covers the ETM. When I contacted Volvo, I was told that the warranty only covers the actual part itselfand did not include the ETM fuse. In order to qualify to have the ETM replaced at Volvo's expense, I would actually have to wait for the ETM to fail. My questionsis this; one, if this is not an indication of ETM failure, then what is!? What exactly should I expect when my ETM fails? Secondly, what could possibly cause both of these replaced ETM fuses to blow literally within minutes of one another?

Old 10-21-2008, 08:13 AM
Administrator

I would say it is the ETM blowing the fuse. Did you take it back to them?
I would have turned around and taken it right back.
Is the car turbo or non?
Either the ETM is bad or a wire is shorted somewhere.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:02 AM

My S60 is a non-turbo and you bet I turned right around and took it back! Well no, actually I called them from the side of the road and made them tow it back. They sent me home with a 24hr loaner and I'm nowwaiting on them to call with a diagnosis. I'm no mechanic, but I suspected the ETM as well. When I suggested this, the mechanic stated that it could have been something as simple as the air compressor[:'(]!?Is there a way to actually "test" the ETM as it begins to fail or do I have to wait for it to fail completely before it shows on a diagnostic?

Old 10-21-2008, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Well the software that is part of the recall make it pretty much impossible for anyone other than Volvo to see if it is failing.
They set the parameters all the way to max before it will set a check engine light.

I looked quickly at a wiring diagram for the Non-turbo. The fuse for the ETM is a direct from from the fuse to the ETM.

I asked because if it was a turbo the EBC (electric boost controller) also shares the same fuse.

So I would say either bad ETM or shorted wire.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:11 AM

Tech, I don't know who you are, but you're brilliant! With the information you provided concerning the direct connection between the ETM and the ETM fuse in the non-turbo models, I was prepared to go "toe-to-toe" with the dealer[:@]. After raising a little"HECK" in the showroom, the wiring connection between the ETM andit's fuse was checked for any shorts. When none was found, and replacement fuses continued to blow, the dealer finally agreed tocontact Volvo Cars of North America to request them to cover replacement of my ETM despite lack of an actual ETM code. They've extended my loaner and I'm now waitingon a call from the dealerfor Volvo's response to their request.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Hopefully it all works out for the best!!!
I am keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Let me know if you actually need a copy of the wiring diagram.
I will post it and you can print it to take to them if need be.