Hard, hard steering with no return

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hard, hard steering with no return

89 240 DL steering is really hard. I've got the front wheels off and I dont really notice any movement as I try to jerk front end components around. Tie rod ends are only a year old but the ball joints I have no idea. the rubber looks pretty cracked at the bottom, both sides.

Haynes says something about steering rack lubrication causing hard steering. the boots look wet, but stuff above is pretty oily and wet, didnt see any cracks in the boots.

Guess I'm trying to decide if I should throw a couple of ball joints on her as my first course.

Thanks for any input! Dave

Old 07-11-2009, 11:48 PM

I know this seems too obvious, but did you check the operation of your power steering system (if you have one)?

Old 07-12-2009, 08:24 PM
Default steering

Varg- no, I havent checked, how do I check the PS system? Dave

Old 07-13-2009, 07:15 AM

First, check the fluid and check the drive belt condition and tension. If the fluid is low, top it off, it is ATF, not power steering fluid. Putting power steering fluid in the reservoir instead of the ATF the pump requires is a common mistake that can damage the pump. Check the condition of the hoses and their connections.

Check for metal flakes and/or a burnt smell in the fluid, which would indicate a problem possibly requiring a new pump.

With the car parked and engine running, turn the steering wheel from lock to lock, holding it at lock briefly. While turning the wheel note difficulty steering and engine speed, when you reach lock, you may hear a whine or hiss and feel the operation of the pump through the wheel, this is good. At idle, you should hear the pump operating and the engine will also labor slightly when the steering reaches its limits. If you have extreme difficulty turning the wheel while the car is stopped and can't hear the pump operating, your power steering system has probably failed.

The following users liked this post:
Elvee55 (10-04-2021)
Old 07-13-2009, 10:01 AM
Default steering stuff

Varg- Thanks for the note. I think it has ATF in there. I remember noting that the cap on the resivour says ATF and the owners manual says Power steering fluid.

Right now I'm on jacks and front wheels are off. guess I'd do these tests with wheels on on the ground, yes?

Dave

Old 07-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This may sound too simple .....however

You don't state if you have constant difficulty steering or tight areas while steering.

If you find that you have "tight areas" when turning the steering wheel lock 2 lock the likely culprit/s are the steering column u-joints (most likely the lower). Have a helper continue to turn the wheel lock2lock while spraying WD40 (or any other quality penetrant) on to the u steering column u-joints.

This issue has been covered previously here on volvoforums.

Don

Old 07-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Default steering

Varg- wouldnt really call it hard "spots"- just feels like both front tires are low on air (and they're not). and steering doesnt return to center after turning (at slow speed). When at speed, of course, it feels normal. Not notchy. Dave

Old 07-13-2009, 06:41 PM

Yeah dave, you need to do those tests with the wheels on the ground. As pcarsrule suggested you may want to spray WD-40 on your steering U joints just for good measure.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Steering

Have you looked at the high pressure hose from the pump to the rack. If that is damaged or leaking it can create a hard steering problem. CLean off the oil and put cardboard under that area to see if you have a leak. You should also check the rack to see if it is leaking.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:19 PM
Default steering

Varg- think you're gonna help me get through this.

Tested with wheels off first. The belt looks ok and the fluid doesn't smell burnt.
The cap on the res says Power Steering fluid only. The book says ATF. Whats in there is red- pretty sure it is ATF.

When turning the wheel, I didn't notice any engine labor until I reached full lock- then I heard the whine, vibration, engine working. Didnt turn very easy even with the wheels off. Then I shut it off and turned the wheel. Feels about the same, ignition on, engine off. Note the wheels are still off.

Then I remembered the post about the U joint. So I soaked that sucka down with WD and lithium grease as I turned the wheel lock to lock. Seemed to turn a little better. Put the wheels on and went for a spin. I think it's better. Popped the hood and retested with engine on. heard the pump working and the engine straining a little as the wheel turned.

Initially a friend told me it might be bad ball joints but that doesnt seem right if it was hard to turn with the wheels off and no weight on the front end.

So I'm thinking maybe I need to replace / rebuild the U joint, with a side order of ball joints maybe. Hopefully I can get it out without taking out the whole steering box.

Also-is there a way to check oil level and add oil to the steering gear if it is low? The boots look wet, but I cant tell if they are leaking or have been dripped on from above or just have some blow by.

Thanks for your helpful advice. Dave

Last edited by daver80; 07-13-2009 at 10:23 PM. Reason: need to add some stuff