Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

05 Volvo S60 Alarm Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 07:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Volvo S60 Alarm Problem

This may be a little long, but hopefully the more information the more accurate the reply.

2005 Volvo S60, this car was wrecked in the right front, I rebuilt the vehicle and sold it to a friend. No problems with the car except an intermittent "service alarm required" message in the message window. The original module was busted, it was replaced with an untested one from a 2006 model which by appearance should be good. First question, does the alarm have to be configured through Vida? I have researched this and seem to get conflicting answers/reports.

The majority of the time the lights will flash when the car is locked with the fob and the RTI sensor (little red light blinks). Sometimes the lights will not flash and the RTI sensor will not blink, but this seems to make no difference on whether the message pops up when the car is unlocked and started.

I have a scanner made by BSR for Volvo cars, I am getting the UEM code 0004 which relates to the siren. I can erase the code but it usually comes back when the car is locked. I haven't checked to see if the siren will actually sound by locking the doors with the windows down and pulling the lock pin up with alarm armed.

The sunroof and other related equipment work flawlessly regardless of the code and the error message. All associated wiring with the siren seems to be in good shape.

One thing I did find somewhat odd, if I reset the error code with the scaner and lock/unlock the car while sitting in the car (with the fob) and then start the car I seldom if ever get the service alarm message, but when I get out of the car, lock/unlock, get back in and start the car the message usually appears on the screen.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Old 10-21-2009, 08:37 PM

siren battery perhaps?

Old 10-21-2009, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bender
siren battery perhaps?

I don't really know, I hate to replace the siren itself only to find out that it isn't the problem, but more than likely it is. Is there some type of micro-switch integrated in the hood latch on these cars? The car sustained no damage in that particular area so I don't think it would have been affected if there is one, but something else to consider perhaps. Thanks for the reply

Old 10-22-2009, 12:51 PM

yes - the hood does have a sensor to see if it is opened or closed and will impact the lights flashing - i do not think that is related to the siren issue.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:55 PM

Thanks to all for answering this question of the hood sensor. My alarm lights were not flashing and I dropped the hood about 12 inches and it worked! Thanks again!