Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

06 S60 SRS and ABS lights!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 05:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 06 S60 SRS and ABS lights!

Hi,
Newbie to Volvos and this forum.
Just got a used 06 S60, 2.5T, private sale.
Before we took posession, seller showed us the yellow ! on the dash, along with the SRS airbag service urgent message in the messages window. He explained that when the car was detailed, they removed the passenger seat and reinstalled it, and the light went on, and he couldn't get it disabled. Now that I'm reading about this light, it's making me nervous, as it sounds like it's an easy but expensive fix to reset and clear the message.
Yesterday, I took the car out. We are having a terrible cold-snap, and while braking at some point I heard kind of a little motor noise in the front, and then later noticed the ABS light on, and the message ABS Anti-Skid Service Required came on. I might have hit a bump at some point before that, too. I wrote the guy, he said cold weather can trigger that light/message. (?)
So now I've got 2 service messages.... I didn't check the car today to see if the ABS light is still on. But, heck, if I take the car to a dealer, I can see how it could really cost me... I need a local mechanic, I think. Is there a mechanic recommendations area on this board? I can't take the car back, the seller is good with cars, but not a mechanic. I'm pretty handy, but without any code reader equipment, looks like there's no easy DIY fixes I can try, are there? I'm having horrible buyer's remorse.
Thanks for any tips/tricks/pep talk!

Old 12-16-2016, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

You can't reset the SRS light without a scanner capable of communicating with the SRS control module.

Cold weather does not trigger ABS lights.

If you have a dealer nearby, diagnosis up to an hour is free. Have them diagnose the ABS light. While they are plugged in, it should be no problem to clear the codes. Let them know about the seat having been removed so they don't need to spend time on the SRS code.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by ES6T
You can't reset the SRS light without a scanner capable of communicating with the SRS control module.

Cold weather does not trigger ABS lights.

If you have a dealer nearby, diagnosis up to an hour is free. Have them diagnose the ABS light. While they are plugged in, it should be no problem to clear the codes. Let them know about the seat having been removed so they don't need to spend time on the SRS code.
Thanks. We've got one dealer nearby, but they have a bad rep for being shady and doing a lot of upsell. As a woman, I find that I still get a lot of patronizing by mechanics... I'm not excited to go there, but other work on this car had been done by them, so at least they have old service records. I've never heard of "first hour free" diagnosis, though...

Old 12-16-2016, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Its a program called Volvo Service Advantage. Should be on your dealers website. I've heard of some charging the hour diagnosis unless the customer is aware of the program though, so make sure to let them know.

Old 12-26-2016, 10:38 AM
Default update

I have an appt. to get diags done this week.

The ABS light and error message are still intermittent.
Google tells me stuff about how there's an ABS pump that kicks in as a self-test at a certain speed, and there are some fussy sensors that can easily get gunked up and throw the system off, thinking it's in error.
Recently, I jammed on the brakes on ice in a big empty lot to see how these brakes feel and handle on ice, and I definitely felt strong pulsing in the brake pedal (which is probably okay), BUT ALSO a very LOUD kinda guh-guh-guh-guh-guh sound, with what seemed like grinding in the front passenger wheel.

Fingers crossed.

Old 12-30-2016, 12:19 AM
Default ABS "missing bolt on LF Axle"

so, the whole dealer experience was interesting.
I made it clear I ONLY wanted the Volvo Service Advantage "1 hour free diags" thing, then let me know what they found.
  1. ABS light and error, they said was because "Missing Bolt and Cap on LF Axle, w/ diag found code for LF Sensor Signal"
  2. SRS/Air Bag light was due to "Found Pop/Soda spilled on SRS module"
  3. "Also possible DIM caused by light on Dash (found pop/soda spilled on SRS module)"
  4. Perform Cooling system flush (found coolant level to be low)
  5. Change oil and filter (found engine oil to be low)
They claimed that the axle bolt and cap work had been declined once.

Total estimate, $3,212!
I had them ONLY do the "Bolt" replacement, as they claimed it allowed the axle to move in a way that tripped the ABS sensor. that was only $117.

I declined everything else. After they cleared the errors (claiming the SRS code will probably "come back"), so far, so good. I will check the oil in the morning and see if I can get a date of the last oil change from the seller. I think the whole "cooling system flush" stuff is a bunch of up-sell baloney.

2006 s60 2.5T, 137k miles on it, I asked them to enroll me in the "high mileage club" thing. Discounts come with 100k, 200k, 300k mileage.

Overall, I feel more relaxed in the car, without any dash lights or messages, and I'll just see what happens next. Unless the SRS module and the dash/DIM modules are all under the center console cup holder, I'm not convinced of their "pop/soda spilled" claim. Are those modules there??
Thanks!

Old 12-30-2016, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator

The bolt explanation is legit. I've seen it before.

It could need a coolant flush. But not for the reason of it being low. I have a few co workers who recommend them for the same reason... it drives me nuts. Coincidentally, you may have actually been at the dealer I work at.

The SRS module is under the center console and does often get stuff spilled on it. It's pretty resistant to spills though, can't remember ever seeing one ruined by spills but it's possible. The DIM is the gauge panel. Sometimes there is a fault in the SRS light circuit that causes the warning. It really depends on what codes were stored.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:46 PM

Coincidentally, you may have actually been at the dealer I work at.

The SRS module is under the center console and does often get stuff spilled on it. It's pretty resistant to spills though, can't remember ever seeing one ruined by spills but it's possible. The DIM is the gauge panel. Sometimes there is a fault in the SRS light circuit that causes the warning. It really depends on what codes were stored.
Hah! If you work at a major luxury dealer in a major midwest metropolitan city that is on Lake Michigan, and the dealer name rhymes with Smoreloff...

I took the car out on the expressway for a good 50 mile trip, and everything seems fine. No return of either ABS or SRS lights or messages. Coming from econo-boxes and a Prius, the fact that I can get to 70mph+ with ease is pretty awesome!

My boyfriend says I should have my oil changes done at the dealer, he says it's not worth risking having a Jiffy Lube over-tighten or crossthread the filter or whatever, and I'm thinking he may have a good point. The car has been using synthetic oil, so $45 for an oil change and filter at the dealer probably isn't too much.

I've filled it with Premium gas (91 octane), but wonder if I could squeak by with mid grade 87 octane. I get just horrible MPG in the city, with the Chicago "winter blend"... like 12mpg. Will fuel economy be even worse with lower octane fuel, or insignificant (other than the pump price)?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge/experiences about the other items. I'm pretty good at resisting upsells, and until I see any warnings/lights come up again, I'm leaving those pricey computer modules alone!

Old 12-31-2016, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

It will be fine on 87. The car does not require premium.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:27 AM

It will be fine on 87. The car does not require premium.
good to know. Mid-grade, then.
thanks, so far, so good.