Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

2002 S60 Known Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 S60 Known Issues?

I have a 2004 S40 for myself, but my mom needs a car now and I came across a 2002 S60 on Craigslist. It's 5 cylinders, automatics transmission, 172,000 miles, passed inspection and emissions good until next year, everything stated working as it should, for $1200. I'm not experienced with cars at all, much less specific Volvo models, so I was hoping someone familiar with these models could help me out.

Are these cars reliable and is parts and labor not too much? Any known issues with this model or platform? I don't even know if this is the first of it's series, or a later revised version, similar to the 2000 S40 vs the 2001 or 2004 S40? I read somewhere that 2000s models S60s had a couple years of bad reliability and stuff, but I don't know what years.

Is it worth it for a car that old and that kind of mileage for $1200? I got my 2004 S40 at 166,000 miles for $1800.

Thanks.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:49 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

One thing that I have learned is that every used car is unique. With that kind of price point, I wouldn't expect much. Someone with a clean, well maintained model will ask for triple that price.

Unless you are good at repairs, have knowledge of Volvos, buying a higher mileage one that you know nothing about is a bit of a risk.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

With any car that old and with that many miles, a lot depends on how the previous owners cared for it. You can find an 02 with 175k that was properly maintained and may go for another 100k. Or you could find one that was abused and neglected that needs major repairs. A good pre-purchase inspection by someone who knows Volvo's would be a good idea.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:54 AM

I bought a very similar S60 back in November 17 (170k+ miles). Here are the issues I've encountered so far:

New struts (knew this going in)
new O2 sensor
New MAF sensor
Rebuilt ETM (went with XemodeX in Canada). 2 weeks down & $600
New plugs & wires

All that said, I'm still under what I would have paid for a newer model and I do love the car.

Old 08-11-2018, 12:08 PM
Default Used 02 S60

I was having car troubles earlier this year and my stepfather bought me a used 2002 S60 2.4T from a prior work associate he knew for $1000. (Canadian) He is an older guy and relied on the man telling him it didnt need much work. When he showed it to me I loved it... when I turned it on, every light on the dash was on. And stayed on. I heard all kinds of noises and I thought great... He bought a lemon. It needed $5500 in the shop to pass a safety. The list has some usual suspects but also some rare ones:
tie rods
control arms
brake rotors/pads
ball joint
brake cables
Abs module
Speedometer
windshield...
I've now had the car for 8 months. And in addition have done the following maintenance:
cabin air filter
fuel filter
oil filter/change
engine air filter
Cabin fan blower motor
radiator fan
Tranny flush ( eek, risk I know)
Tires
Had to fix driver door handle not working from inside door panel.
I took apart the center gear shift and cleaned all the crap out of it. The 'W' button was sticking. Totally detailed the inside dash and trims. Also did an engine detail clean.
It still needs:
rubber steering bump stops
headlight wiper motors
manual drive 'claw' to spring the shifter back into position
I want to do the spark plugs and ignition coils as well.
Sorry this is long but so you have an idea it's been about 8 grand, and I could put about 5 or more into it I'm sure in other repair/upgrades. That being said, I love it. I like keeping my cars in good condition as much as possible, and to do as much of my own work as I can. I've spent 8 months now researching these cars and I am happy with mine. It has got to be one of the cleanest S60s Ive ever seen.
I think that overall, 15 grand or less on this car that is in great condition and has the same top speed as a '19 (apx 230kph), and that I will likely have for a few years yet is worth it.
All the best

Last edited by Northie; 08-11-2018 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:36 PM

A used car that old for a 1000 bucks is like a box of chocolates...
Also, not that your mom will be driving it at 230kph but I was likening that one point to my cars perceived value to me; in cost relation to a new one, or any other car for 10 grand at that.

Old 08-11-2018, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

First comment is in line with the rest; You are looking at a 15 year old car with 175K miles, so its going to have wear. Getting a proper pre-sale inspection and sense of the maintenance history is your only defense. Given you should expect maintenance on a regular basis, be ready to handle the wrench on your own to save $$.

My short list of potential issues:
1) timing belt replacement. this car is on a 10 year /110K mile interval so it should have been done at least once.
2) Car has a VVT system. if the POs kept the oil clean, it should not be an issue but should be inspected for any oil leaks
3) PCV system. over time the PCV systems accumulate gunk and needs maintenance. this requires lifting off the intake manifold, replacing the parts and degunking the ports. Simple tests include the dipstick test (any smoke?) and the rubber glove test should be part of the pre-sale inspection
4) Check engine light? All cars have similar components that can set codes - O2 sensors, MAF sensors etc. These are not really Volvo specific parts to worry about - think of them as more routine maintenance.
5) Electronic Throttle Mechanism (ETMs). Volvos have a drive by wire system where the ETM has contacts that can wear and it can get sensitive to dirt over time. There are shops who will rebuild and you can even buy replacement contacts.
6) rubber tubing - vacuum leaks are the most common cause of a check engine light and are usually traced to an old/cracked vacuum line or intake hose. If you can DIY, these are usually easy fixes.
7) Transmissions. Volvo FWDs are mostly Aisin transmissions - same as Toyota uses. Generally the FWDs are rock solid but your inspection should include checking fluid color, level and leaks. The AWDs have had some issues in specific years/ models in things like the bevel gears (power to the rear wheels).
8) ABS modules - the ABS controller boards can develop solder cracks which will set off the TRACS/ABS warning light. There are services like Rocha-Tek who rebuild the boards for about $200 and you can pull the board off without opening the braking system.
9) AC systems - systems can lose pressure as the o-rings age and if the AC cuts out randomly, its usually that the compressor clutch gap is too large and needs to be reshimmed. If the car has a history of recharges you may need to get the system evacuated, new seals/accumulator/dryer etc and professionally charged.

A lot of the other stuff you see posted are really what can be considered wear and tear items. If you have an owner history (ie did they do mostly highway driving? is the car from snow country or a warmer climate?). Things like brakes, struts, bushings. motor mounts etc wearing out are to be expected from a 15 year old car but are not really systemic to the 2000-2005 models.