Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

2002 S60, Transmission Service Required ....

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 S60, Transmission Service Required ....

Hi, all!

So... I don't know if anyone has had this issue, but I'd love some help with it if you have advice.

For the three months (yes, months) my 2002 S60 with 176,000K miles has told me, with a CHECK ENGINE light that there is TRANSMISSION SERVICE REQUIRED. I know I should get it checked out immediately, but there hasn't been any issues driving it. I can't notice any gears improperly changing and everything has been running smoothly. The one *strange* thing that does happen though is that when the car is idle... say if I'm at a stop sign, the car will *sometimes* JERK forward a bit, but slightly...

I'm kind of at a loss as to why this is happening or if it's a big deal. I've had the car since 50,000K miles and everything that has been done to it has been at the Volvo dealership. HOWEVER, in December 2010 (at the Volvo dealership) I had the transmission flushed and about a few weeks later, the transmission light came up for the first time, then went away for a bit... so I feel it's related, but not sure?

Any help, suggestions? Or should I just bite the bullet and bring it in...?

Thanks!
-Andrea

Old 08-23-2011, 06:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrownEyes723
Hi, all!

So... I don't know if anyone has had this issue, but I'd love some help with it if you have advice.

For the three months (yes, months) my 2002 S60 with 176,000K miles has told me, with a CHECK ENGINE light that there is TRANSMISSION SERVICE REQUIRED. I know I should get it checked out immediately, but there hasn't been any issues driving it. I can't notice any gears improperly changing and everything has been running smoothly. The one *strange* thing that does happen though is that when the car is idle... say if I'm at a stop sign, the car will *sometimes* JERK forward a bit, but slightly...

I'm kind of at a loss as to why this is happening or if it's a big deal. I've had the car since 50,000K miles and everything that has been done to it has been at the Volvo dealership. HOWEVER, in December 2010 (at the Volvo dealership) I had the transmission flushed and about a few weeks later, the transmission light came up for the first time, then went away for a bit... so I feel it's related, but not sure?

Any help, suggestions? Or should I just bite the bullet and bring it in...?

Thanks!
-Andrea
I would start with checking the Trans fluid. The dip stick is Yellow below the Airbox. Other than that you need to get those codes read ASAP. The 01-02 S60 have know issues with Transmission and i would not just let this go.When a transmission starts to go it starts with small things then buy the time most people get it to someone its to late.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you've had some issues for 8 months with your trans light coming on intermittantly and it's been on constant for 3 months straight and that is usually the computer detects a problem.

I agree with the above reply. Get your car to a shop ASAP.
But the damage is probably already done.
From what you described of the jerking, it could be just low fluid.
But it also could be time for some transmission work and or replacement.
Good Luck.