Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2003 NA S60 no fuel pressure...

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 NA S60 no fuel pressure...

Chaps, have an 03 S60 that has had an intermittent no start issue for about a month. It will always crank, but occasionally won't start right away. Until this week. Now it just cranks.

I really hate this car with a passion. I hooked up to the Schrader valve at the rail and cranked and saw zero fuel pressure. My next move was to check fuses, which are all good. I haven't been able to locate a relay, so if there is one I'd love to hear about that.

I went to pull the hose at the filter just to see if I have a front end fuel problem or the pump, but apparently either this vehicle has no filter, or its attached to the pump (read that somewhere).

I have no check engine lights.

My questions:
1. I've read tons of stuff. Some say that fuel pressure doesn't get supplied until the engine fires (which makes no sense to me) some say that this is a dealer thing.

This is just like any other car right? Rip out the back seat. Yank the pump with some special tool that probably costs 3 trillion torx bits, and hook up the new one right?

2. Any further advice on diagnostics? I'd hate to swap the pump only for it to be some stupid Volvo/Ford bull... (I'm having a day I tell ya)...

Thanks crew.

Last edited by EivlEvo; 12-27-2015 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by EivlEvo
Chaps, have an 03 S60 that has had an intermittent no start issue for about a month. It will always crank, but occasionally won't start right away. Until this week. Now it just cranks.

I really hate this car with a passion. I hooked up to the Schrader valve at the rail and cranked and saw zero fuel pressure. My next move was to check fuses, which are all good. I haven't been able to locate a relay, so if there is one I'd love to hear about that.

I went to pull the hose at the filter just to see if I have a front end fuel problem or the pump, but apparently either this vehicle has no filter, or its attached to the pump (read that somewhere).

I have no check engine lights.

My questions:
1. I've read tons of stuff. Some say that fuel pressure doesn't get supplied until the engine fires (which makes no sense to me) some say that this is a dealer thing.

This is just like any other car right? Rip out the back seat. Yank the pump with some special tool that probably costs 3 trillion torx bits, and hook up the new one right?

2. Any further advice on diagnostics? I'd hate to swap the pump only for it to be some stupid Volvo/Ford bull... (I'm having a day I tell ya)...

Thanks crew.
Anybody on this guys?

Old 01-02-2016, 04:50 PM

Just did some heavy research for ya, I tell you I hear crickets in this forums, I have umpteen posts and barely ever get an answer.

What I found is that (and I needed this info too) the fuel pump relay is location CMI12.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/EB...-13_140709.png

This is located in the dash on the driver's side. Pop the panel off underside near your feet where the light is and shine a flashlight upwards, you'll apparently find it there.

Far as the filter goes, yes, it's built into the pump if you don't see it right side back of vehicle. I found this out myself today too. My car seemingly when it's cold, will start, but seconds later when it goes back down to normal idle it just dies completely. I have to fight with it 10-15 times before it starts and stays that way. Best of luck.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by ChilinMichael
Just did some heavy research for ya, I tell you I hear crickets in this forums, I have umpteen posts and barely ever get an answer.

What I found is that (and I needed this info too) the fuel pump relay is location CMI12.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/EB...-13_140709.png

This is located in the dash on the driver's side. Pop the panel off underside near your feet where the light is and shine a flashlight upwards, you'll apparently find it there.

Far as the filter goes, yes, it's built into the pump if you don't see it right side back of vehicle. I found this out myself today too. My car seemingly when it's cold, will start, but seconds later when it goes back down to normal idle it just dies completely. I have to fight with it 10-15 times before it starts and stays that way. Best of luck.
Yeah thanks. I wish I knew more about these Volvo's, I'd jump into some of your threads. Unfortunately, I'm a 240 guy.

I'll look into the relay. Obviously notorious for such things.

If anyone else knows if I should have pressure at the rail while cranking, that'd prove helpful.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 487 Likes on 468 Posts

yes you should have something (I think it should be on the order of 40-60 psi when running depending on model) and cranking should maintain the pressure. Sounds like you either have a relay issue or a fuel pump problem. Don't think its the fuel pressure sensor (usually its shows as stalling or hesitation) but worth reading up on.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by mt6127
yes you should have something (I think it should be on the order of 40-60 psi when running depending on model) and cranking should maintain the pressure. Sounds like you either have a relay issue or a fuel pump problem. Don't think its the fuel pressure sensor (usually its shows as stalling or hesitation) but worth reading up on.
It stands to reason that this would be pump related though no? Not producing enough pressure means the pump obviously can't pump enough? I could see perhaps a voltage issue, but the idea of relay is on or off correct? So there wouldn't be a voltage drop there...

Other thoughts?

Old 01-05-2016, 02:44 PM

What have you done so far in terms of diagnosis? I was under the impression that there should be some fuel pressure while cranking.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Cdubbs
What have you done so far in terms of diagnosis? I was under the impression that there should be some fuel pressure while cranking.
Confirmed air, confirmed spark. Was getting zero fuel pressure at the Schrader valve on the rail while cranking. Pulled the fuel pump relay. Cleaned the prongs and popped it back in. Prior to this I was able to get the car started and saw roughly 15psi at the rail though the car ran just fine. When the car shut off (my doing) the pressure held.

I'm getting no codes. No cel. I feel like the relay is clicking, but it's difficult to tell since they're all on the same panel, who knows if it's mine clicking for sure or the one beside it.

Fuses are all good.

Old 01-05-2016, 03:16 PM

See if you can find another relay (KNOWN GOOD) that is the same and swap it.
The click might be there but something else is wrong with the connection/relay. That would at least remove the relay from the puzzle.

Maybe the heater?
Something you don't have to have to run the motor.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:45 PM

What I'm PROBABLY looking at in my case, is apparently a common issue, the CEM. This is the removal procedure:

They are known to fail, the high speed/low speed data network loses sync.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by pjsmithres
See if you can find another relay (KNOWN GOOD) that is the same and swap it.
The click might be there but something else is wrong with the connection/relay. That would at least remove the relay from the puzzle.

Maybe the heater?
Something you don't have to have to run the motor.
I would also recommend trying this first and go from there if it does not resolve the issue.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Cdubbs
I would also recommend trying this first and go from there if it does not resolve the issue.
Anybody happen to know the specs on the fuel pump relay and another that might work/where I can snag it? The one next to it is fuel overflow or something... So I'd guess not that one.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by EivlEvo
Anybody happen to know the specs on the fuel pump relay and another that might work/where I can snag it? The one next to it is fuel overflow or something... So I'd guess not that one.
OK. The relay functions well within spec (tested). So this pushes me back to the pump then correct. Aside from that control module thing... What else could it be? Is that control module the thing that powers the relay, or does it per the pump after receiving a signal from the relay?