Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

2013 S60 Consuming Oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MFB111
I am a new member and joined because I am having a similar issue as this thread. Not sure if I should discuss my 2013 S60 excessive oil consumption problem here or start my own thread? I checked my VIN and my engine is a B5254T12. Thanks alot!
Post here. I'm sure we can all try to help each other out. What are your "symptoms"?

Old 03-21-2018, 08:03 PM
Default 2013 S60 2.5 liter turbo

I had my first 3 oil changes done by the Volvo dealership where I bought my car. The next oil change at mile 43,531 was also done at the same Volvo dealership. No problems. Then I got two oil changes done at the Service center in my town which was easier and less expensive and I trust them. These were done at mile 54513 and mile 66383. Not sure if these were too far apart or not. I was taking the cue from the first 3 complementary oil changes which were done by the Volvo dealership which were about 10,000 or so miles apart. During the second oil change at 66,383 I also had the service center in my town fix the evap. leak detection pump circuit because i failed the emissions here in CT. Strange that such a new car would fail Emissions testing. Anyway, At 72,742 miles (6359 miles later), I noticed the engine running a bit rough so I checked the oil and the dipstick was dry. I panicked and drove to a nearby Firestone only a couple miles away and had them do an oil change. Then at mile 78,888 (6146 miles later), I noticed the engine running a bit rough again , thought I smelled oil burning and checked the oil... the dipstick was dry. It took two quarts of oil. Took the dipstick reading and it was at the top of the line for full. I have never gotten a warning light. I have gotten the message that my car needs maintenance and assumed that this was for the 75,000 mile checkup. I had made an appointment for this but then was advised to contact the Volvo dealership to see if they could help in any way with the suspected oil consumption issue. I am not under warranty. The dealership has scheduled for me to come in for an oil change and an oil consumption test. That's where I am. I have friends who have a lot of expertise in mechanics and they feel that a car should not be losing this much oil - although others say that it can be normal. I'm not sure what is going on but I'm seeing a lot of posts about 2012 Volvo S60s and earlier with oil consumption problems and I am suspecting that the problem was not resolved for my car. My car is a 2013 S60 2.5 liter turbo automatic . And as stated before the engine model is B5254T12. Any help or advise would be appreciated very much! Thank you.

Old 03-22-2018, 02:01 PM

I had my first 3 oil changes done by the Volvo dealership where I bought my car. The next oil change at mile 43,531 was also done at the same Volvo dealership. No problems. Then I got two oil changes done at the Service center in my town which was easier and less expensive and I trust them. These were done at mile 54513 and mile 66383. Not sure if these were too far apart or not. I was taking the cue from the first 3 complementary oil changes which were done by the Volvo dealership which were about 10,000 or so miles apart. During the second oil change at 66,383 I also had the service center in my town fix the evap. leak detection pump circuit because i failed the emissions here in CT. Strange that such a new car would fail Emissions testing. Anyway, At 72,742 miles (6359 miles later), I noticed the engine running a bit rough so I checked the oil and the dipstick was dry. I panicked and drove to a nearby Firestone only a couple miles away and had them do an oil change. Then at mile 78,888 (6146 miles later), I noticed the engine running a bit rough again , thought I smelled oil burning and checked the oil... the dipstick was dry. It took two quarts of oil. Took the dipstick reading and it was at the top of the line for full. I have never gotten a warning light. I have gotten the message that my car needs maintenance and assumed that this was for the 75,000 mile checkup. I had made an appointment for this but then was advised to contact the Volvo dealership to see if they could help in any way with the suspected oil consumption issue. I am not under warranty. The dealership has scheduled for me to come in for an oil change and an oil consumption test. That's where I am. I have friends who have a lot of expertise in mechanics and they feel that a car should not be losing this much oil - although others say that it can be normal. I'm not sure what is going on but I'm seeing a lot of posts about 2012 Volvo S60s and earlier with oil consumption problems and I am suspecting that the problem was not resolved for my car. My car is a 2013 S60 2.5 liter turbo automatic . And as stated before the engine model is B5254T12. Any help or advise would be appreciated very much! Thank you.

there was a recall done bybvolvo for exactly the same problem concerning oil sensor. Many people voiced complaints like yours and the OP. Have a look into it and make sure your recall is done for proper oil level measurement.
as for oil consumption, a quart per 1-2k miles seems normal for a petrol.
good luck

Old 03-24-2018, 01:32 PM

My car has been at the dealer for about a week now and they are starting a leakdown test and digging deeper. I agree with you that a car should not be using this much oil. A quart every 1000 miles seems ridiculous especially if Volvo is only requiring changing the oil and servicing the car every 10000 miles. Your car has much more mileage than mine. I was only a few months out of warranty and at 51000 when the error occurred. I only service my 2 volvos at the dealer so they are taking my loyalty into consideration. I'd reach out to Volvo corporate and see if they can be of any assistance.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:10 PM

Look at the plugs......will tell you everything. Are you blowing blue smoke ?

Kid

Old 04-01-2018, 04:24 PM

Guys, something is seriously wrong with these engines! https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...own-rod-92443/

Old 04-02-2018, 07:25 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I wonder if the crankcase breather system is working properly. They now have a failure on the vacuum diaphragm which causes full vacuum on the crankcase.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:21 PM

OP here. So after diagnosis and having my car for 3 weeks, the Volvo dealer found soot on my plugs and issues with my piston rings and replaced everything for me under goodwill. I thought it was a happy ending. 2 weeks and about 500 miles later, my check engine light just came on as I drove home from work (after the service dept. has closed). Hopefully, I can bring it in tomorrow, but boy am I getting sick of this. Anyone have any thoughts why the check engine light might pop on? I was sitting in slow going city traffic at the time. My entire commute is LA city streets.

Old 05-03-2018, 01:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might be nothing. CEL is usually associated with emissions so could be that leakage caused some temporary downstream emissions issues or something.is your gas cap nice and tight? Who knows it may disappear on its own. How is oil level?

Old 05-03-2018, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by pierremcalpine
Might be nothing. CEL is usually associated with emissions so could be that leakage caused some temporary downstream emissions issues or something.is your gas cap nice and tight? Who knows it may disappear on its own. How is oil level?
I checked the gas cap before taking it in. The oil level was fine. They had refilled it 3 weeks ago when they did the piston work. They changed the oil again yesterday. Hopefully it was some debris from the piston replacement gumming things up and it will go away. If not they will replace the VVT.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, they are taking good care of you. Nice. Good luck. Hopefully CEL is nothing. Glad to hear oil is all good.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:45 PM

Which dealer did the ring job, etc.?

Last edited by LittleMushi; 05-04-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by a7abw
Greetings from a new member,

I've joined this forum as part of my research into the failure of my 2012 S60 engine. Mods, I do not mean to highjack this thread but my problem is somewhat related and may elicit some valid comments from other members. Please advise if I should create this in a new post.

The car is a 2012 S60 Powershift which I purchased second hand in June 2016; the car had done 132,000 kms at that point. The car recently had the major 150,000 km service at a workshop that is not an official Volvo centre but they are all qualified Volvo technicians who work almost exclusively on Volvo cars.

The car has now done 153,000 kms and I was driving out of town at 100 kms/hr when I felt a vibration through the throttle pedal and the car started to run roughly and lost almost all power. I was able to get it home and the following day had it towed to the workshop mentioned above.

A compression test was done which indicated zero compression on #1 cylinder and poor compression on #3. The workshop manager showed me a piston from another Volvo engine where a section of the piston had melted and said that my situation showed very similar symptoms.

The engine strip down showed exactly the same damage (melting) to the #1 piston (see attached photos) and minor scoring of the cylinder wall.

His opinion is that it could have been due to a carbon buildup on the injector or inlet valve which caused pre-ignition which then resulted in excessively high localized temperatures and melted that section of the piston. He said that this is definitely not an isolated case. I did write to Volvo South Africa but considering that it is a second-hand car and out of warranty, I'm not surprised that they have not responded.

Component failures can and do happen but it is not a high mileage car, nor is it driven hard and this is not an isolated case which points to a design or manufacturing defect which Volvo would certainly not admit to. But here's my beef: the repair involves buying a 'short block' which is a new engine block complete with crankshaft, rods and pistons. Unbelievably I am not able to buy replacement pistons/rings for this engine so the entire lower engine assembly has to be replaced even though a lot of the parts are still perfectly usable, not to even mention unnecessary additional costs of the repair plus damage to the environment by the unnecessary dumping of serviceable engine parts.

Apologies for my long-winded description but I would appreciate any comments from the more knowledgeable members here.

Thanks.

Sorry about you problems...However I think you'd be better served if you posted this as a NEW post, or in one of the many posts on MY2012 S60 oil consumption.

Old 10-06-2018, 07:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’ve seen these engines run with 1.5 quarts of oil. Pretty strong engines, amazes me the fact yet so strong it consumes oil on some vehicles. Most of it is because of the type of oil being used. Use Castrol oil and have the oil changes exactly at 10k if it’s a 13 or even better 5k. 12’s every 7,500 full synthetic castrol oil. A tech, usually 1-2 techs, who specializes in rebuilding engines will replace the rings or pistons. Some techs refuse to rebuilt them since it takes time and they just sell you the Bg piston cleaner which is just a temp fix etc... Note if the engine is really sludged because of lack of maintence don’t use the cleaner. Remember it’s time consuming so expect a delay in some situations. Another note, Volvo knows how much oil was added since the last oil change and how much oil is being added.. Volvo will try to assist if you’ve been having your services performed

Old 01-02-2019, 12:05 PM
Default My 2012 XC60 3.2

I just started experiencing the same issues that flow throughout this forum with this 3.2 engine. I am burning 1 qt. every ~7K miles now that I hit 68K on my engine. I live in Charlotte and am surrounded by NASCAR mechanics. They recommend that I use a thick additive (Lucas) for a few oil changes and then switch to purely synthetic oil and this should reseat the rings/seals. I haven't seen this suggested by anyone else on this discussion. Is this something to consider? Is it too late for an engine with 81K on it? I was also told by my Volvo dealer that it was a slim chance I would get anything from Volvo because I am out of warranty. They did recommend a consumption test but over 15K miles. That will take over a year to complete and I am really worried that things will only get worse over a year and I will lose some options or possibly the entire engine during that period. They also said that Volvo does not want you to use any oil additives in their engine. Like others, I like this vehicle and was looking forward to driving it payment free for a few more years, minimum.
Your thoughts?

Old 01-02-2019, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by dderisi
I just started experiencing the same issues that flow throughout this forum with this 3.2 engine. I am burning 1 qt. every ~7K miles now that I hit 68K on my engine. I live in Charlotte and am surrounded by NASCAR mechanics. They recommend that I use a thick additive (Lucas) for a few oil changes and then switch to purely synthetic oil and this should reseat the rings/seals. I haven't seen this suggested by anyone else on this discussion. Is this something to consider? Is it too late for an engine with 81K on it? I was also told by my Volvo dealer that it was a slim chance I would get anything from Volvo because I am out of warranty. They did recommend a consumption test but over 15K miles. That will take over a year to complete and I am really worried that things will only get worse over a year and I will lose some options or possibly the entire engine during that period. They also said that Volvo does not want you to use any oil additives in their engine. Like others, I like this vehicle and was looking forward to driving it payment free for a few more years, minimum.
Your thoughts?
The dealer recommendation of an oil consumption test for 15K miles seems too long of a period. I believe 2K miles is Volvo's standard for an oil consumption test. I suggest contacting the corporate office.

Old 01-02-2019, 12:22 PM

Thanks for your input! I will do that.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dderisi
Thanks for your input! I will do that.
If you have been doing the services or oil changes at every 10k interval then Volvo should cover it under good Will. Do not use any additives. Contact Volvo, then your local dealership.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:59 AM
Default Be careful!

I had this problem and detailed it here in the thread. I eventually threw a rod and had to have the engine replaced. Volvo was no help. There was no good will from the dealer, since my original dealer went out of business and was in a different state. To my shock, I've had to top off the oil weekly again - this is with the replacement engine. Time to trade in!

Old 01-04-2019, 08:24 AM
Unhappy My 2012 XC60

I appreciate the responses I am getting from all of you. I have to be honest, this concept of the dealer fixing this problem with "Good Will" is a hard one to swallow. I am a Risk manager by trade, we only go by the written word when it comes to warrantees and contracts. My dealer acted like I was speaking French when I brought up my problem, then claimed my engine was not within the noted population of oil burners, then suggested that my last oil job was done incorrectly and not enough oil was used. Finally I get the offered a 15,000 mile oil consumption test. So, honestly, I am not confident that the term "good will" is in their vocabulary. I did call the corporate office of Volvo and they said they would verity the right mileage to use when performing a consumption test and get back to me and also tell my local dealer the same. My local NASCAR mechanics are shaking their heads and have warned me not to drive any long distances....

Quick Reply: 2013 S60 Consuming Oil