Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2013 S60 Consuming Oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 07:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting that they admitted there's a "known population of oil burners". I was told there's no such thing, the issue was all me

Old 01-05-2019, 07:57 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff1967
I had this problem and detailed it here in the thread. I eventually threw a rod and had to have the engine replaced. Volvo was no help. There was no good will from the dealer, since my original dealer went out of business and was in a different state. To my shock, I've had to top off the oil weekly again - this is with the replacement engine. Time to trade in!
Was the replacement a complete engine or a short block? If the latter, valve guides could be the problem.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dderisi
I appreciate the responses I am getting from all of you. I have to be honest, this concept of the dealer fixing this problem with "Good Will" is a hard one to swallow. I am a Risk manager by trade, we only go by the written word when it comes to warrantees and contracts. My dealer acted like I was speaking French when I brought up my problem, then claimed my engine was not within the noted population of oil burners, then suggested that my last oil job was done incorrectly and not enough oil was used. Finally I get the offered a 15,000 mile oil consumption test. So, honestly, I am not confident that the term "good will" is in their vocabulary. I did call the corporate office of Volvo and they said they would verity the right mileage to use when performing a consumption test and get back to me and also tell my local dealer the same. My local NASCAR mechanics are shaking their heads and have warned me not to drive any long distances....
A lot of dealerships don’t want to deal with oil consumption because it’s time consuming. An oil trap box, turbo, vacuum leak, etc... can cause an oil consumption so these things needs to be checked first.
my question is how many miles does your vehicle have? Is it running rough? Check engine light on? Are you the first, second owner of the vehicle? Have you been doing it’s 7,500k service every 7,5k with full synthetic oil? Once you put a junk yard engine, Volvo will not cover it.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pretorien
Was the replacement a complete engine or a short block? If the latter, valve guides could be the problem.
there isn’t a short block available for these engines, only a cylinder head so the whole engine(long block) would of been replaced. Unless a junk yard engine was used which had the same problem. If a new engine was replaced, that tells me who ever replaced it didn’t bother to check the turbo, etc...

Old 01-05-2019, 12:42 PM

Full engine, I bought it online and had it shipped to a local installer, it's been great until just recently when I started to notice oil consumption again. Having it done privately saved me about $4k vs the dealer quote.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:26 PM
Default Volvo get it together!!

It's a known fact Volvo has no clue why many engines are consuming oil!! Piston replacement does nothing to fix problem then a new motor with the same problem!! Mechanics are getting fed-up doing these huge jobs under warranty. Go to any Volvo dealer and look around in the shop You will see a motor being replaced. It's time for a brand new motor design, go start a newer volvo and just listen to sound of the motors...supper noisy!! It's really a shame because they look so nice. Volvo get your sht together. I have a 1998 s70t5 with 198k consumes only 1/2q every 5k. Love this car, the old 5cylinder was the best motor!! I also have 2007 XC90 sport with the Yamaha v8 with 132k consumes 0 oil, only problem with this motor it's gas guzzler!!

Old 02-05-2019, 12:53 PM

Last June, Volvo issued a Service Campaign S29650, which amounts to nothing more than an oil specification sticker added to the engine compartment.

The campaign letter describes the upgrading of the oil specification to full synthetic to help reduce carbon buildup, and I suspect that the change in oil specification is to address the large number of vehicles that have started consuming oil.

My '12 S60 T5 started consuming oil, too. Having had a similar issue with my old BMW E46, I disassembled the PCV oil trap and found it completely clogged with carbon. The oil trap functions to separate oil particles from engine vapor, and return that oil to the engine; mine was unable to separate the oil and was, instead, inhaling the oil with the engine vapor.

I found the oil trap on Ebay for around $90, and after replacing it, I haven't had an oil issue. I noted, too, that the oil separator part number had been superseded, and that my replacement looked different from the original. My guess is that Volvo identified a problem with the design. So, in a nut shell, long oil interval+incorrect oil grade+ pcv with design flaw = clogged oil separator (pcv) = oil consumption.

It's an inexpensive, afternoon fix and, IMHO, is likely the cause of your problem.