Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

2014 s60 t5 p0016

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 s60 t5 p0016

Hello, just starting to research an issue that has come up with my wife’s car. As the title says, 2014 S60 T5, 58k miles, absolutely NO issues whatsoever. The car runs perfectly, no symptoms, but the “check engine light” came on yesterday. I checked the code with a very basic code reader, it showed P0016, with the same code “pending” several other times. I cleared the code and began searching for its meaning. Read a little, and was intimidated by it being timing related. I am, what I would call, a parts changer! I’m no mechanic, but I have no issue changing sensors or any parts for that matter, but the word timing makes me nervous. I just wanted to check here to see what others have experienced with a relatively newer car, with no other symptoms, other than the check engine light, with a P0016 code.....? By the way, started the car today, it ran for approximately 5 mins, and the same code returned. The oil is full, decent condition, and no obvious signs of running rough or stalling or anything. Any opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:23 AM

Anyone have any suggestions? So hard for me to think the timing is off, with the car running so perfectly and no other symptoms......

Old 12-12-2018, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

The code is saying the cam position appears off. This can be a cam or crank sensor, the VVT gear is gummed up and not rotating correctly at speed (its driven by oil pressure) or the VVT gear timing is off. It could be as simple at the cam or crank sensor is not properly seated in or it could be an issue with the VVT gear. If you can pop off the timing belt cover, look around the top of the timing belt to check for any oil leaks.

Note regarding the CEL - the code and light get set when a set of conditions are met within the ECU - so if you are driving slow, warming up and haven't done much distance the computer won't set the code. Once you start going at speed and the data points from the engine and position sensors don't match up, the light gets lit :-). If you have access to an OBD2 code reader, there's no harm in clearing the code. If the underlying fault is real, the code will simply trigger again within the next driving cycle, confirming there's a part at fault (vs say an electrical hiccup).

Old 12-13-2018, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by mt6127
The code is saying the cam position appears off. This can be a cam or crank sensor, the VVT gear is gummed up and not rotating correctly at speed (its driven by oil pressure) or the VVT gear timing is off. It could be as simple at the cam or crank sensor is not properly seated in or it could be an issue with the VVT gear. If you can pop off the timing belt cover, look around the top of the timing belt to check for any oil leaks.

Note regarding the CEL - the code and light get set when a set of conditions are met within the ECU - so if you are driving slow, warming up and haven't done much distance the computer won't set the code. Once you start going at speed and the data points from the engine and position sensors don't match up, the light gets lit :-). If you have access to an OBD2 code reader, there's no harm in clearing the code. If the underlying fault is real, the code will simply trigger again within the next driving cycle, confirming there's a part at fault (vs say an electrical hiccup).

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I have been clearing the code, numerous times. Upon starting the car, it won’t illuminate the cel. However, it has a pending p0016. After shutting off the car, the very next time I start it, the cel comes on. It’s repetitive every time. I clear it, it comes back in the same order every time. I have to be honest for a minute.... as bad as I hate to admit it. I’ve always used Castrol synthetic 5w30 in this car. The last oil change, I used a “store brand” synthetic oil to save a little money. After researching this issue, I can’t help but wonder if it’s an oil issue. Upon realizing this, I changed the oil and filter, back to castrol 5w30. IF this is a gummed up issue with the vvt, can it be cleaned? I’ve removed the timing cover, didn’t see any signs of oil anywhere, or any belt issues. So hard for me to understand any of this with what I consider low miles and a relatively new car, with no obvious symptoms......

Old 12-13-2018, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Brand of oil shouldn't matter as long as you have the correct weight. Given you have already been using synthetic, and only have 60K miles on the car, I'd be shocked if you have any gunk built up but you'd need to measure the actual oil pressure through a driving cycle to see. A dealer could do this with their tools as well as measure the actual cam angles being reported to determine which sensor is off or whether the cam position is in fact off.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:14 AM

Brand of oil shouldn't matter as long as you have the correct weight. Given you have already been using synthetic, and only have 60K miles on the car, I'd be shocked if you have any gunk built up but you'd need to measure the actual oil pressure through a driving cycle to see. A dealer could do this with their tools as well as measure the actual cam angles being reported to determine which sensor is off or whether the cam position is in fact off.
That answers my questions. I was curious what the next step would be, given the code. In other words, how would I come to know which sensor or whatever. I have an appointment to have it checked, but I can’t stand not knowing for myself. Was hoping to figure out if it’s a sensor, which one, and replace myself, however I also want it diagnosed correctly. Thanks again for your time. I will report back to this thread after I have it checked for future reference.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:31 AM

Just came from having the car checked. I was told that it is a camshaft reset valve that is seized or just simply needs reset. The issue with this is that it has to go back to a dealer due to “special tools” needed to hold things in place while resetting, cleaning, or replacing the valve. . The vvt solenoids and sensors all checked out fine, and it’s definitely not a timing issue. Very frustrating knowing this and being useless as far as fixing it. Now, I’m assuming I’ll have to pay them to diagnose, and do WHATEVER they say it needs.....

Old 03-19-2020, 05:12 PM

I am having the same thing exactly at 49000 miles I had the belt replaced at Volvo main dealer anyway Any luck in this issue ? Thanks

Old 03-19-2020, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

here's what the code is telling the tech. If they replaced the belt and confirmed the timing of the VVT gear is correct, then you have an issue with the reset valve. The VVT is driven by oil pressure, thus the references to correct weight, dirty oil etc which can impact the VVT's ability to adjust the camshaft's timing.

284: ECM-643A (P0016) Camshaft position, exhaust. Signal too low or too high.

Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) information

D2102380 Condition
The control module checks that the camshaft is in the correct position in relation to the position of the crankshaft. If the position of the camshaft is incorrect, the control module will adjust the adaptation for the camshaft. Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) ECM-643A or ECM-644A is stored if the adaptation becomes too great.

Substitute value
None.

Possible source
Signal too high
  • Poor oil quality
    Incorrectly adjusted camshafts
    The timing gear belt has jumped off the cogs
    Defective reset valve
    Mechanical fault in the variable valve timing (VVT) unit.
Signal too low
  • Poor oil quality
    Incorrectly adjusted camshafts
    The timing gear belt has jumped off the cogs.
Fault symptoms
Malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) lit.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:10 PM

Thank you very much that does make sense as I have swapped both cam shaft sensors (as they are the same) with each other and I have found the fault stays in the same place .ruling out cam shaft sensors . Starts and drives fine ruling out crankshaft sensor . I assume when this went in for the cam belt at Volvo they went by the book and done timing properly this car is low mileage and hasn’t had much use so oil change is possible although I have replaced that recently 1 month ago

as it stands

oil quality good
Engine timing good
Crank/ cam sensors good

questions
how hard is this vvc unit to replace ?
is there a way to reset the reset valve ?
why wouldn’t clean oil take the light off (vvc unit to work correctly) ?

many thanks

also forgot it was reading high ...

Old 03-19-2020, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

is yours also a 2014?

Old 03-20-2020, 03:08 AM

No mine is 2008 t5 I’m sure it’s the same engine just the later ones got a make over

Old 03-20-2020, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

you may have a different style VVT gear from the 2014s but there's a few vids on Youtube which talk to the gear and solenoid issues. If you do need to replace the VVT gear, the timing belt has to come off. Have you popped off the timing belt cover to see if you are leaking any oil from the cam seal/VVT?

Old 12-17-2020, 10:40 AM
Default Code P0016 and P0017

Originally Posted by Chris James Carter
Thank you very much that does make sense as I have swapped both cam shaft sensors (as they are the same) with each other and I have found the fault stays in the same place .ruling out cam shaft sensors . Starts and drives fine ruling out crankshaft sensor . I assume when this went in for the cam belt at Volvo they went by the book and done timing properly this car is low mileage and hasn’t had much use so oil change is possible although I have replaced that recently 1 month ago

as it stands

oil quality good
Engine timing good
Crank/ cam sensors good

questions
how hard is this vvc unit to replace ?
is there a way to reset the reset valve ?
why wouldn’t clean oil take the light off (vvc unit to work correctly) ?

many thanks

also forgot it was reading high ...
Hi, how did you manage to sort tbis