Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bad Transmission, GRRRRRRRRRRR!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Transmission, GRRRRRRRRRRR!

OK, so I have an '02 S60 T5 with 68K miles that needs a new transmission. I don't understand it, but despite my frustration that is the diagnosis I have been given.

Volvo now tells me that '01 & "02's tend to have that problem. They first thought it might be the servo, but no it's the whole friggin' thing. I'm told it will cost me $3,800 for a new transmission.

Any thoughts folks? Have any of you also heard of my year and model going through a transmission so quickly? Any options I might look at besides a whole new transmission - can they be rebuilt (the mechanic says not a good idea)?

Greg

Old 11-19-2008, 09:44 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Bad Transmission, GRRRRRRRRRRR!

Do you know what codes were stored in the computer?

Old 11-20-2008, 09:08 AM

ORIGINAL: tech

Do you know what codes were stored in the computer?
According to the Volvo certified tech that's recommending a new transmission, the computer d/l's are up to date.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:21 AM

get it rebuilt, I just got mine rebuilt and it costed my warranty company 2600$. You can also purchasea 4 year/50,000 mile warranty on the work also. I got mine done at Aamco. I have a 01 s80 t6, and the work they did was great, it shifts great too.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:46 AM
Administrator

But what were the diagnostic trouble codes that were in there.
The software might be up to date but The codes lead to what the problems are.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:45 PM

ORIGINAL: gordon368

get it rebuilt, I just got mine rebuilt and it costed my warranty company 2600$. You can also purchasea 4 year/50,000 mile warranty on the work also. I got mine done at Aamco. I have a 01 s80 t6, and the work they did was great, it shifts great too.
Hmm, my Volvo mechanic recommended against getting the transmission rebuilt. He said he had not seen a successful rebuild on a transmission for my year and model Volvo. I can't help but think he's steering me away from that option for his own gain, however I just don't know.
I recently received another offer in the mail for an extended warranty. The mailer did not come from Volvo and when I questioned my Volvo mechanic about it, he cautioned me about purchasing the warranty stating that quite often these offers are high priced with very little comprehensive coverage. Sounds like your warranty covered your work. Is your extended warranty through Volvo or did you go with another company after the Volvo warranty expired? Can you suggest a company I might contact to inquire about an extended warranty?

Thank you!

BTW...I am taking my S60 down to a transmission shop in the morning. I did contact this shop today and spoke with the manager who said he would diagnose my transmission problem for free and let me know what could be done, so I am going to look into that option.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:47 PM

ORIGINAL: tech

But what were the diagnostic trouble codes that were in there.
The software might be up to date but The codes lead to what the problems are.
OK, that I don't know. How do I obtain the codes? Do I go back to my Volvo mechanic and ask him for them, or are we talking about something different? Might you mean heading down to my local Auto Zone and letting the plug in their diagnostic tool into my car?

Old 11-20-2008, 09:59 PM

the codes should be on your paper work from Volvo.

My warranty company is third party bought from a delearship, its called Wheelz America. Bad company but 0 out of my pocket for repairs.

Okay so the warranty, they initially denied my claim initially. It was thanks to the Aamco Manager who made a phone call to the higher personell and he turned it around and made them pay 100%.

I have had so much good luck with warranty company coverage, but its getting worse. I am seeing them trying to deny more and more claims. My delearship steps in when they dont cover me lol, I have a super long history with them (including involving a lawyer).

The cost of the warranty is probably gonna cost you what the transmission rebuild will, butthe warranty company can still deny coverage. Only warranty I'd get from now on is if it was from the Volvo factory.\

Also Id make sure they really understand Volvo transmissions. It took a month or so to get the fine tuning of the rebuild. I had several leaks after the job but they were all take care of. Also I had to get my torque converter replaced by them again. It's been roughly 4 months since all is taken care of, and there are no problems.

Im not sure but if you were to get a transmission replacement for your car from Volvo, its not "technically" a new one. From what I heard from the transmisson shop that I broughtit too, they actually take bad ones, send them back to the factory, fix them, and re-use them again. I dont know how true that is though.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Yes get the codes from the mechanic. I have seen many things happen to these transmissions. It might be as simple as a speed sensor to a Valve body to a new tranny.

Thats why the code will really help.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:39 AM

I have done some preliminary sourcing for a replacement tranny and found some great deals from the wreckers. (www.car-parts.com) Anywhere from $500 for a 48K mile '02 one to $1075 for one from Erie Vovo (yes, no vovo not Volvo) See web at http://www.erievovo.com.
I have already replaced the valve body in my '02 and it has operated flawlessly since but I just have no faith. I have seen one grenade in a V40 at 65K miles. Full of metal filings.