Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can I Get Some More Information.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 10:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I Get Some More Information.....

I have read in a few other posts here on these forums about how the 01 S60's have had some issue with the transmission and the software or something? I never fully understood it and I asked my mechanic about it and he said he never heard of any software issue just that if a radiator hose busts the tranny could become burnt toast. Could anyone shed some more light on this. Im hoping to take this information will me. I only ask this because my transmission has been acting up. When I go from driving really light on the gas to faster or harder on the gas usually between 1st and 2nd gear the transmission slips, almost like it gets thrown into netral then back into gear. I really don't feel like replacing my transmission so I want to be sure everything is fine. My cars going in tomorrow for a service (90K) and want every issue to be addressed. Also where can I find recalls that have happened with this car and if they have been fixed on my car. I read to call vovlo with ur vin but wanted to be sure.

Thanks in advance.

Oh I forgot to ask. My tranny fluid was changed at 78K and now im at 86K I checked it the other day and it looks kind of dark but certainly not pink. Could this be a sign of issues?

Old 12-13-2007, 12:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Can I Get Some More Information.....

As you know the '01 was the first MY of the S60. Volvo implemented a neutral-stop function aimed at saving a little gas in city driving (the car would drop into neutral on its own when the driver had their foot on the brake). The result was much greater wear on the transmission parts. More than likely your car has had this function removed by now with a software update. A quick way to tell is if your car doesn't feel like it pulls forward at traffic lights, it could still have the function enabled. In other words, if you can take your foot off the brake and the car sits still for a few moments, that's bad (neutral). Other than that, there may be newer software out there that optimizes shifts better, the dealer will know for sure.

Recall info can be found at the top of the page, just below the banner.

You shouldn't go by color of the fluid. Trans fluid will begin to darken within the first few hundred miles. If it smells burnt then it needs to get changed out. But after 8K miles you should have no worries. Check itat every oil change. Have a drain-and-fill about every 30K miles. Drain-and-fill replaces about 3 quarts and a flush replaces nearly all of it.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:10 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

There is many software and hardware issues with the S60's.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same car and had a similar shift flare problem. Here is what I did and have had no problems since.

1. Get all outstanding software upgrades done.
2. Do a tranny fluid drain and fill using original volvo fluid...yes its pricey
3. Get them to remove the neutral option, thats when the tranny shifts to neutral at a complete stop
4. Get them to clear the tranny shift paterns so the car relearns your driving habits as it pertains to shifting.

All this cost me less than $300. I did the tranny fluid change myself. Be sure to buy the gasket for the drain plug when you purchase the fluid.

I have 165k on my car and will likely do another fluid change soon.

Hope this helps.