Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Car Shake And Ac Noise For Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Shake And Ac Noise For Help

Hi all, I have a 2002 S60 2.4T with nearly 102k miles. Now there are two problems trouble me for several months.

1) Car shake when accelerate around 60mph. The shake just happened around 60mph, from 57mph to 65mph. Accelerate below 55mph or above 65mph will not cause a shake and it runs smoothly. I did a alignment one month ago, it was a little better but this situation is still there and getting worse. To solve this problem, I replaced the control arms. But no better.

2) An intermittent noise in front of the passenger side when AC is on, no matter cold or warm. The clicking noise sounds like the wind is blowing something and only happen when the AC is on low level and the car is parking or in a low speed. The noise will fall off a little bit when an acceleration made or the car went through a bumper, sometimes it won't happen in the whole run.

Any suggestion for these problems? Thank you all!

Old 05-08-2011, 01:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your acceleration vibration is probably an out of balance wheel/tyre or a front drive shaft.
The blower noise could be a leaf stuck in the blower fan, if you park around trees.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:09 AM

The mechanist suggest to replace the inner and outer tie rods. Does this work?

The noise sounds caused by a piece of metal or something. It will happened not only parking but also in a low speed (<25 mph).

Old 05-09-2011, 09:06 AM

Bump this one, I have same problem, but I think its the tires; any other info would be great.
Question to the OP: do your tires rub against the car when turning hard?

Old 05-09-2011, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by coefamily
Bump this one, I have same problem, but I think its the tires; any other info would be great.
Question to the OP: do your tires rub against the car when turning hard?
Sometimes there will be some noise like tires scrub the ground when made a hard and fast turn.

I will brought my car to a Volvo Independent this week. Hope they can find out what the problem is.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:04 AM

Very interested in the results, keep us posted

Old 05-13-2011, 06:17 PM

Here is the update 05/13/11.

I brought my car to a Volvo Independent in my area this week. Their mechanic told me they believe the shake is caused by one or both of my drive axles. And they thought that the noise comes from blower motor.

To solve the noise problem, they suggest me to replace the blower motor and the blower resistor with $650 parts and labor.
To replace both axles they want to charge me $130 for each axle and $230 for labor.
They also doubt the vibration may caused by internal of transmission but need to replace axles first to see if that will fix the problem.

Well, I think the noise from blower motor make sense. But do I really need to replace both blower motor and the resistor? How much labor might it be?

Interestingly, I bought drive axles and brought the car to another auto maintenance (not a Volvo Independent), they did a test drive, checked the axles and told me the axles are totally fine. They did not want to waste my money on axles.

Now I got confused, what on earth leads my car shaking? I've already replaced my control arms and Ball Joints. Do I need to check the tie rod ends? Is there any other reason for the vibration?

To be continued...

Old 05-17-2011, 08:41 AM

have you checked the tire balance? I think that is likely the problem, pretty cheap and easy to.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:15 AM

have you checked the tire balance? I think that is likely the problem, pretty cheap and easy to.
Have done twice in different places. No use.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:16 AM

Any news, mine is in the shop and mechanic is still messing with it

Old 06-17-2011, 12:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"To solve the noise problem, they suggest me to replace the blower motor and the blower resistor with $650 parts and labor.
To replace both axles they want to charge me $130 for each axle and $230 for labor."

99% of dealerships will tell you a part needs replaced, that is where they get the most revenue.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dongwenxuan
Here is the update 05/13/11.

I brought my car to a Volvo Independent in my area this week. Their mechanic told me they believe the shake is caused by one or both of my drive axles. .... To replace both axles they want to charge me $130 for each axle and $230 for labor.

Interestingly, I bought drive axles and brought the car to another auto maintenance (not a Volvo Independent), they did a test drive, checked the axles and told me the axles are totally fine. They did not want to waste my money on axles.

Now I got confused, what on earth leads my car shaking? I've already replaced my control arms and Ball Joints. Do I need to check the tie rod ends? Is there any other reason for the vibration?

To be continued...
The vibration is caused by the right axle shaft and you should replace it as soon as possible or you will fece replacing engine mounts as well. I would check the top mount for wear anyways. Axle shafts on this car go around 100k mile mark and you can't really tell by just looking at it, as there is no excessive play or sound when turning (classic wear signs).
Good luck.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:45 AM
Default 2001 S60 Car Shake on Acceleration

Our 2001 s60 also shakes on acceleration at exactly the same speeds described about 95 up to 105 km/hr (around 60 mph). It only shakes on acceleration. But does not shake on acceleration at lower speeds or at higher speeds. We had the wheels balanced and aligned. The mechanic said they had only been slightly out, but it fixed the problem. This was less than 6 months ago, and the shake is back again. We will try another wheel alignment/balancing, but what a pain and expense to do this every few months!

Old 06-23-2011, 10:10 AM

Thanks, I've already replaced both axles. Now the high speed shake disappear.
But I noticed that there is a slightly shake happen during 25~35mph.
Maybe this time I need to do a tire balance?

Originally Posted by Delirious
The vibration is caused by the right axle shaft and you should replace it as soon as possible or you will fece replacing engine mounts as well. I would check the top mount for wear anyways. Axle shafts on this car go around 100k mile mark and you can't really tell by just looking at it, as there is no excessive play or sound when turning (classic wear signs).
Good luck.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:44 AM

Got my ride back, replaced the wheel bearings, did not solve the problem

Old 07-20-2011, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Delirious
Good luck.

Why Do you say the The Right Side only?

Old 07-21-2011, 08:48 AM

Why Do you say the The Right Side only?
The passanger side one is longer and I think replace it first and see if the shake gone.

I replaced both and the shake is gone.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by dongwenxuan
The passanger side one is longer and I think replace it first and see if the shake gone.

I replaced both and the shake is gone.
What did the replacement cost you?

Old 07-21-2011, 12:56 PM

What did the replacement cost you?
I replaced both axles and a rear wheel hub
$150 for labor
$300 for parts

Old 11-21-2011, 08:08 AM

Having a similar issue with the car vibrating/shaking only while actually accelerating starting between 60 and 70 mph. I'm a little confused about it because my check engine light came on just about when started happening. I had a code ran and its p2402 (generic OBD II)...which is an "emission system leak circuit pressure high" issue...so I wondered if my car is missing or being starved of fuel or oxygen when I get to that speed...however, (and this may be obvious to some) I DO also need my right axle replaced which is why I am on this thread and why I joined the forum...I noticed the boot broken a couple months ago and am starting to hear the little pop/click when shifting into gear or sometimes when just accelerating from a stop. So, I'm ordering the axle and will replace it...but want some other opinions....is it possible the motor is causing the shaking?