Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Deep humming noise - 2015 S60 T6

Old 04-30-2018, 06:04 PM
Default Deep humming noise - 2015 S60 T6

Hey guys,

I've got this problem that I've been searching on for hours and can't find anything on it. I have this intermittent, deep humming noise that can also be felt with vibrations and seems to be coming from the left side of the car. It is very abrupt, random, and quick - maybe lasting 1-2 seconds - and does not not happen often. It is not a tire problem. I have been able to create the sound while the in park and pressing on the gas a little bit. I tried to get that on video so I could use that as a reference but couldn't get it to happen again. It happens at any speed and the RPMs do not seem to be relevant. I could put it in sport mode and get up to 6,000 RPM without it happening but then it go off twice in a row while just cruising on the interstate or at 20 mph downtown.

I have been trying to narrow down what I have been doing recently that could have caused it. I did just recently buy the car - have had it maybe a month. It hasn't happened until this past week. Before it began occurring, I filled the car with 87 grade fuel. I was unaware that Volvo says that these engines require premium (I should have read the manual). However, I have been researching that as well, and I can't find anything that says it could be seriously detrimental for the car short term. All I can find are videos that suggest spark knock could be a problem. It sounds nothing like a knock, tick, or anything similar to any video I've seen on that. It almost feels as though it's coming from underneath the passenger side. I'm definitely no mechanic, but to me it sounds like it's almost a pressure build up and being released. I've literally googled "sounds like my car is farting" and couldn't find anything like it. I was going to schedule an appointment with the dealership and see, but it's driving me insane. I have spent so much time trying to figure it out. I would greatly appreciate anyone taking a stab at it.

Thanks!

Last edited by atbass; 04-30-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:53 PM

Atbass

I have yet to find a solution, its been going on for about 8 months.

Does it sound like mine?

Old 04-15-2019, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by johnson2bs View Post
Atbass

I have yet to find a solution, its been going on for about 8 months.

Does it sound like mine?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIjEhoAKr08
Yes! That is it. I haven't been able to figure it out either. Does yours only happen when you're above about 1/3 of a tank as well? Once my tank is below that, it doesn't happen.

Last edited by atbass; 04-15-2019 at 06:40 PM.