Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Whining sound in front

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining sound in front

I have a '99 V70 R with 133K miles on it. I bought it new in Sweden and have maintained it very well.
The Problem: After driving a block or two, a grinding/whining sound starts. It is similar to the whining sound in a World Rally car, but much more ominous. It is different pitches at the same time and becomes quite loud, at times, loud enough to hurt your ears! Like a rally car, the faster I drive, the higher the pitches get. If I drive for about 30-40 minutes or longer, the noise slowly goes away. It still makes noise when coasting in neutral and even when I turned the engine off, as a test. Ambient temperature doesn't make a difference. It started doing this last summer and has continued throughout the winter. The weird thing is that it doesn't always happen but, it almost always does happen, now. So, the problem is getting worse. I don't drive this car daily, but even when I drive it in successive days, it happens. If I drive it long enough for the noise to stop, park the car for a short while, then drive it, the noise usually doesn't come back on the same day. The dealer said they have never had a Volvo do this and they would be glad to poke around at $90/hr. to find out what might be causing this.
Almost two years ago, I replaced the ATF with Redline ATF and the problem of low speed, tight turn, squealing tires on blacktop surfaces went away. A year after the ATF change, this new noise started. I called Redline about the current problem and they told me they have never had any complaints from Volvo owners using their ATF.
As a forum newbie, I am going to look for other threads about this problem. So far, I haven't seen anything exactly like the problem I have described.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:26 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the Forum. Honestly, it sounds like a bad wheel bearing. Is it possible to record the noise and upload it to some kind of site like YouTube so that we can hear it?