Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Door locks cycle when I am washing the car

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 05:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Door locks cycle when I am washing the car

Well we may have an issue but I am not sure.

Today was the first time I washed the car since getting the service completed for the TSB lock service. There is something odd happening.

When spraying the car doors with the wand, the door locks kept cycling on / off. You can hear the chirp and see the lights on the side mirrors flash. Sometimes just spraying against the window would do it. It does it on all doors.

Since buying the car I've washed the car many times but never saw it do what it did today. I'm worried that there is water ingress into the door lock mechanisms. The car doors I'm familiar with always had plastic sheeting that protected the electronics from water. When the door panels were removed to fix the locks, could that barrier have been breached?

Plus today I also noticed the top of the drivers door panel wasn't fully engaged with the clip. I gave a nice bang and it attached, now it isn't wobbly.

I had the service done on 4/29/2020.

Is this normal and I just never noticed it before or did something happen during the lock replacement? I don't have a good history with this service department, I caught them doing a very bad thing on a TSB for my V50.

Old 05-18-2020, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

there is a plastic sheet under the door card that reattaches via a thick gummy compound - but that that should keep moisture off the card not keep water out of the door's interior. I'd check to make sure the seal around the base of the window is properly in place. I'd bet that the window relies on the top of the door card to press it against the seal and that's where its leaking.

Old 05-19-2020, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by mt6127
there is a plastic sheet under the door card that reattaches via a thick gummy compound - but that that should keep moisture off the card not keep water out of the door's interior. I'd check to make sure the seal around the base of the window is properly in place. I'd bet that the window relies on the top of the door card to press it against the seal and that's where its leaking.
Trying to understand the card, Maybe we are talking about the same thing. I just remember seeing sheeting on cars. Water will get into the door, rolls down the sheeting and out the bottom weep holes.

What is a door card? Never mind, now that it isn't the middle of the night I looked it up -- "A door card or a door panel is an insert on the door of a vehicle that covers the door's internal components."

Plus if it is loose it happened during the recent servicing and i don't think I should be pulling the door panels.

Last edited by urdrwho; 05-19-2020 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

door card is the term for the interior door panel. most wrap over the top and have a moulding that fits the inside of the window Any water that finds its way down between the glass and exterior moulding should drain down and out of the weep holes. In re-reading your post, you noted it happens when you spray on any of the windows? that makes me wondering if you were actually triggering an alarm function or a window position sensor. Does your car normally drop the windows a fraction when opening the door? (My VW CC lowers its windows about 1/4 inch when opening the doors to give it clearance from the rubber seals) Just wondering if the pressure on the window is triggering that feature. Given this happened as a result of service at a shop, I'd bring it back and have them inspect their work. you'd need to open up the door to see if interior parts are getting wet or if its just the mechanical action of the water pressure pushing the glass. What happens if you push on the glass with your hands (ie emulating the water pressure?)

Old 05-19-2020, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine does it all the time. I usually leave the keys at least 20' away to stop it.

Old 05-19-2020, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by mt6127
door card is the term for the interior door panel. most wrap over the top and have a moulding that fits the inside of the window Any water that finds its way down between the glass and exterior moulding should drain down and out of the weep holes. In re-reading your post, you noted it happens when you spray on any of the windows? that makes me wondering if you were actually triggering an alarm function or a window position sensor. Does your car normally drop the windows a fraction when opening the door? (My VW CC lowers its windows about 1/4 inch when opening the doors to give it clearance from the rubber seals) Just wondering if the pressure on the window is triggering that feature. Given this happened as a result of service at a shop, I'd bring it back and have them inspect their work. you'd need to open up the door to see if interior parts are getting wet or if its just the mechanical action of the water pressure pushing the glass. What happens if you push on the glass with your hands (ie emulating the water pressure?)

Windows don't drop.

I see another post says their car does it.

Old 05-21-2020, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mainesail
Mine does it all the time. I usually leave the keys at least 20' away to stop it.

^^ This ^^

Take the key out of your pocket when washing. Water from the hose is triggering the capacitive lock/unlock sensors on the door handles the same way your hand would. Leave the key out of range and it won't happen.

Last edited by budleach; 05-21-2020 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by budleach
^^ This ^^

Take the key out of your pocket when washing. Water from the hose is triggering the capacitive lock/unlock sensors on the door handles the same way your hand would. Leave the key out of range and it won't happen.
Most definitely will try to get them far away. Those poor locks were getting beat from cycling on and off. Sometimes I've had school kids that were running fund raisers wash my cars, sat inside with the engine off. I guess I won't sit in the car anymore while they wash it. Someone might just wonder why I'm standing so far away from my car, "what is he afraid of"?

Hm? A positive thought, maybe the rapid cycling is a good way to keep all lock mechanisms from gumming up. I guess it is better than one of the Jaguars I owned that had a mind of its own. The doors would mysteriously unlock on their own, not a good thing when you come out of the restaurant and find them unlocked.

Last edited by urdrwho; 05-22-2020 at 07:03 AM.