Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Engine fan getting loud even after 10-15 minutes calm drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine fan getting loud even after 10-15 minutes calm drive

Recently I bought an S60 T5, 2015 early model. Great car I admire it. However the loud engine fan bothers me, and I do not think it is normal it is rotating probably full speed even after 10-15 minutes calm drive
When I start driving it is quiet, so it is not that one sensor or the computer is completely went fool. Also the coolant level is OK.

I've read about the sensors, and also about to possibility of an air bubble in the coolant which may fool the temperature sensor.
However today, I talked with an S80 owner, who is actually car mechanic, and I was told this is typical Volvo behavior the cooler is getting dirty, so intake air can not flow...

So what he recommended to get a watering tube and with medium pressure (not high) sprinkle inside the whole front area of the car where the air flow in, and I will see the dirty water coming down under the car. Do it thoroughly for a 15-20 mins.

Well I examined the front area, and I have to say the cooler lamellas seemed to really dirty.

Q1: It is possible that the symptom "Engine fan getting loud after 10-15 minutes calm drive" caused by this dirt obstacle the air intake?
Q2: What about this watering tube thing? Can it ruin any part? Can it really clean the cooler, so I will notice an improvement?

Old 12-14-2023, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few years later but same problem!

Hello,

my name is CJ and am a proud owner of a 2023 S60 Recharge plug in hybrid. I gotta say I wish I saw this a bit sooner haha. Last week I noticed how loud the fan was especially with the fact that it happens to be winter time in Chicago so it’s not exactly like it being super hot out is the issue. The fact that I could hear it with the engine on really showed how loud it was getting and when in electric mode it was deafening. I’m not sure what made me think about it but it dawned on me well with the salt, snow melt/rain cars get like this dry coating on them when you don’t wash your car maybe that some how is happening to the intake fan area. So I decided to go get the car washed and the second I got out of the car wash the car was purring like a kitten again. It was night and day in the noise. So I was glad to figure out that was the case however, it’s less than a week and a half later and same issue…. How many times am I going to have to clean the intake area this winter is now what I’m wondering? And why are Volvos prone to this issue ? Is it a design fault ? Location issues ? Materials issue ? Or even worse is there an issue that’s bad enough that it warrants me taking it in for a service ?