Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ETM or Tranny going bad??

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ETM or Tranny going bad??

Happy New Year to you all!

Here goes, 01 S60 non turbo.....the rpms drop to about 500 and the car shudders at each down shift (from 3rd to 2nd to 1st gear) only when applying the brakes to slow the car down. Also, at about 70km/h Im getting a shift flare where the tranny shifts in and out of OD.

Went to the dealer last week and they did the ETM/ECM upgrade, which made no difference. So today it went back to the dealer and I got a scary call....I was told that even though my dash wasnt showing any codes thats because there are in fact too many codes and it just caused the computer (CAM system) to go nuts and shut down. Is this possible...the car has no other problems....it idles smooth and shifts great with the exception of what I've described above. To continue, all these codes might mean that one or more of the modules have gone bad and may not be communicating.....they need several hours to diagnose....BUT, they cleared the system and did a new TCM upgrade which will increase the shift parameters and get rid of the neutral software and this may solve all the problems.....so naturally at this stage I've declined to authorize several more hours of diagnostics and will see if the TCM upgrade works beyond a single drive cycle.

I was also told by the foreman that the ETM thing is a myth, that they never go bad, only need a software upgrade and that solves all the problems. According to him, any ETMs ever changed may have been done so needlessly...???

Any thoughts on all this?

You can read the complete thread here http://www.volvo-forums.com/index.ph...=0&p=48393

Old 01-08-2007, 09:09 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: ETM or Tranny going bad??

See if the software helps.
Was the ABS light on?
He is full of S*** on the ETM thing.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:48 PM

just picked up the car. no lights were on. was told it isn't giving codes because of the CAM fault and that it lit up like a christmas tree when they hooked it up to their computer.
I was told again that this dealership hasn't changed an etm in over a year since new software upgrades came out last year and have solved the etm problem.
Man these guys are asking me to go on total faith with their diagnosis since I don't see any warning lights!

this guy is either brilliant or as tech put it.....full of s***

the drive home was fine, no shudder but the car still shifts in and out of OD at 70km. will see tomorrow morning if the shudder is back. should try a tranny flush I guess

Old 01-08-2007, 10:14 PM
Administrator

The reason I aksed about the ABS light is because if the ABS module goes bad it can shut down the CAN system.

The dealer near me has still had to change a bunch of throttle body's since the software came out.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:12 PM

thanks tech...it makes a bit more sense now. the dealer said it may be the abs module or something as simple as a connector pin that is causing CAM to shut down. But I still don't understand what this has to do with the drop in rpm and shudder when slowing down.
the software they did worked until this morning and the problem is back now.
the abs does work though.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Yes it could be many things.
The sad part is that all has to be gone through.