Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Factory Warranty coming to a close...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Warranty coming to a close...

First off, I would like to thank everybody who posts here. I've learned a ton in my 2 weeks as a Volvo owner.

I have a 04' S60 2.4L that will be out of its factory warranty in early 08'. I’ve had no major issues thusfar; the car only has 35k miles and beyond a lost mirror cap I couldn’t be happier. I purchased the car from a private individual, it has a clean carfax and was in great shape. However, the more I read the more possible issues I imagine my car having; I'm sort of a car hypochondriac. Here is what I know about 04’ S60’s:
1) Tranny flushes are a must, I’ll need to get one done within the next 10k miles.
2) The S60 doesn’t have as many issues as S40/80
3) This car eats light bulbs

My car has had all scheduled maintenance plus a new front set of brake pads and tires. The things that worry me are:

1) Every dealer invoice shows a charge for 6.5 quarts of Castrol; my car is only supposed to use 5.8 according to the manual. I checked the dipstick and it reads high – why would the dealer do this and what implications can I expect from their “overfilling.”
2) Small vibration when slowing down – it seems as if the car catches itself at 500 rpms when I stop at a red light; this causes a very slight vibration through the steering wheel. I also suspect that the top motor mount is bad because my mount looks cracked, similar to https://volvoforums.com/m_64483/tm.htm.
3) When I drive the car with the A/C on I can sometimes hear a faint grinding sound coming from the dash. I doubt it is the compressor; the sound is inaudible unless the radio is off and the windows are up. I’m not sure if this sound is normal or not.

How should I present these issues to the dealer? I’ve never had a car with a factory warranty before and I want to make the most of it. Any advice is appreciated on how to handle the dealer. Although I have no reason to fear the dealer, I just think that the dealer has no obligation to fix a problem on my car unless I am the one who finds it.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:41 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Factory Warranty coming to a close...

Greetings from Narita, Japan.

Please note that I'm an 850 driver and am not too privy to the S60 lines. Therefore, my reply would be partial, rather than a thorough one.

As to the tranny fluid, it has to be checked with the engine at idle and it also has to be running at normal operating temp. Then you have to go through each gear, stopping at each detent for a few seconds. Ignore this if you knewit already.

Tell the dealer not to overfill, there is nothing good about overfilling a tranny. It would cause foaming of the fluid, as well as shifting.operational problems. I personally would flush the system at every 30,000 miles or every 3years. There numbers really depend; auto mfgs usually state that the tranny fluid is good for the life of the car, but many of us believe the fluid deteriorates over time.

How often do you have to replace the light bulbs? If you have to replace them too often, there may be a problem in the electrical system and you may want to have it diagnosed. Also, if a technician is installing the bulbs with bare hands, grease from bare fingers can shorten the life of halogen bulbs; this may not apply to HIDs as there are no filaments in HIDs. I would do the light bulbs by myself, and if touched with bare fingers, wipe off with a cloth dampened with alcohol.

I am not sure as to the grinding noise when the A/C is turned on. There are no moving parts inside the car for the A/C, so it could be coming from the blower motor area or from something else.

When at a dealer, be sure to know what you're talking about, or they'll be sure to take advantage of you and try to sell you unnecessary parts & services. You do not have to be a professional, just study the basics. I would recommend the following books:

I have this one myself and have learned quite a bit.
http://www.amazon.com/What-Auto-Mechanics-Dont-Want/dp/0964056062/ref=sr_1_4/103-2189402-6019809?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191543237&amp ;sr=1-4

I haven't read this one, but may order one:
http://www.amazon.com/What-Your-Mechanic-Doesnt-Want/dp/1419611941/ref=si3_rdr_bb_product/103-2189402-6019809

Check the recalls issued against your S60 and have them fixed if not done. Even after the warranty expires, recalls must be fixed at a dealer, free of charge.

http://automallusa.net/2004/volvo/s60/recalls.html

I hope this gets you started. Wait till other S60 owners reply, as they should know better about the car than I do.

Good luck,

JPN

Old 10-19-2007, 01:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Factory Warranty coming to a close...

I'm a big fan of quick, numbered questions.

1) Oil changes not trans right? Assuming oil: the average S60 is 6.2 qts. the dealer is most likely rounding up.
2) Unsure, though I doubt it is your motor mount. Its the weakest mount andis designed that way. I'd say it should be replaced when there is significant lateral play. (Check by pulling,--by hand--to the side, if portions of theactual mount moves out of its socket you should consider replacing it.) An easy job for any DIY. What does your tach do when you feel this shutter?Is it a non-turbo?
3) Grinding or more of a hiss? The electric motors that control your HVAC domake noise (grinding), however this isn't usually a functional problem, just a annoying noise. -sometimes can be fixed-

Listen to JPN, change those bulbs your self, and never touch the glass.

As for the dealer? General advice=Have some helpful data i.e. whatwhen where?Be sure of your data and they will more likely be sure of theirs. If a dealer can't verify a problem; they cant (or wont)fix it. If you can demo a noise ask to ride with someone (tech, service writer, manager). Be firm but pleasant.

Good luck.