General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Volvo factory extended warranty question

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo factory extended warranty question

This is my first post, so hello. Hopefully I'll be back, but more on that below.

Short Question:
How do I confirm the status of a factory extended warranty other than calling a dealer? (Google search was not fruitful)

Long Question
I've been planning on buying my friends 2001 s80 2.9 with 120,000 miles, but just before the sale the Check Transmission light came on, the car went into what I think was limp home mode, and he took the car into a (trusted) shop.

The shop didn't give the exact code, but the car was shifting fine. However, the computer cannot confirm a solenoid moving, and assumes the worst. The mechanic gave two options: replace the transmission for $3800, or open up the transmission and hopefully fix an electrical fault for $2300. I was planning on buying the car for $4000, and my friend said he'd take the repair bill out of his price (nice guy).

He then mentioned something about having the transmission worked on earlier under a Volvo factory extended warranty, so I bought a CARFAX. At ~80,000 miles, a dealer replaced the tranny completely.

After some research, I understand extended warranties go to either 50,000 or 100,000 extra miles. I'm hoping for 100,000 extra so the repair is free, but my friend can't find the paperwork. I called the same dealer asking them, and they claim the transmission was never replaced. I don't know why they think that.

Is there a way other than calling the dealer to find the status of an extended factory warranty? I'd just has soon give my friend the money than a shop.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

u can call extend warrenty company yourself. but first is the car under your name or is there still warrenty on the car. I don't think the extend warrenty goes up to 120k anyway. so if that's the case either way they will not cover the tranny so there isn't really much need to call extend war. If it is my car, I will bring it to a proper shop that has Vida to proper diagnosis the car before I put any money in to it.