Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

faulty engine.. 3 days later the car fixed itself

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation faulty engine.. 3 days later the car fixed itself

Main Problem:

I was driving at 60mph for about 30 minutes with half a tank then my S60 2002 118k miles stopped maintaining speed and wouldn't accelerate. It was enough time to change lanes to the right side and make it home on the capped speed (I was about a mile away from home). The check engine was never on. After parking the car in the garage I tried a few noob things disconnected the battery... later I disconnected the MAF then to turn it on and see if it went away somehow, but it didn't. The engine would start easily then it would go high on RPMs then take a while to come down then act erratic and inconsistently when accelerated.

The second day it seem the car would do the same but accelerated in park more consistently with little delay though it would become very rough when idling. The third day It was problematic and the brakes felt hard (although I'm not sure that it had that same symptom the first day because I wasn't paying attention) but I was able to drive it up the ramp of the truck to take it to a mechanic.

When we got to the mechanic about 45 min later I started the car and it was FINE! everything normal RPM 700.. the "normal" light vibration when parked and since there was no codes or anything I took it back home. So magically the car is fix.

What should I look for to find the problem in this situation?

Other info:
1. No codes whatsoever!
2. The car seems it will failed the emissions test.
3. The lights lose power a little and the engine stumbles a little when accelerated slowly.
4. 1 previous problem with the MAF it was replaced. (90k)
5. 1 previous problem with the throttle body it was cleaned and worked (100k)
6. The car use to (more in the past than recently) to lose complete acceleration capability after hitting a deep pothole (suspension bottoming out). I live in a place where everyone should have military Hummers.
7. After a near accident avoided by braking hard the car rumbles a little when changing from 3rd to 4th
8. If any live data from an OBD helps let me know

Other problem:
Turning signal stopped working. Lights are on but it won't flash.

I know the car is junk just need it to last 1 more year. I'm trying to see what can I do myself already replaced the struts seats, mounts, control arm. Hope this is nothing out of my league.