Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Front Bumper Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Front Bumper Problem

Hello guys, i'm kind of a newbie here and i'm surely glad i found this awesome forum.

I own a 2004 S60 D5 model (allthough the guys at the service say it's a 2005 because the production date is 19 december 2004 - don't know what to think) bought last year in september from a guy that loved volvo as much as i do (his dad has a s80 and he was selling his s60 to buy a new xc60). No problems with the car so far, it's been kept in mint condition and runs like new, it had close to 100.000 KM on board when i bought it and now has 116.000 KM. My first problem i'll adress here, but for the second i'll make a separate thread.

So, one day as i was about to walk away from the car i've noticed that the right (passanger's side) angle of the front bumper, the part close to the wheel arch is slightly out of place. After a thorough inspection to see if i hit anything i concluded that maybe a "friendly" neighbour kicked it (dunno why) - no scratches, no paint gone, nothing so me hitting something or another car hitting me seemed out of the question. Now, it's not a big problem, the bumper ain't sagging, it's just a bit out of place, if i press it back it will stay that way for a while but eventually it does pop out back again.

I've read the awesome "S60 Body/Trim: Removing the front bumper cover " thread and i've pretty much got around on how to remove it but never got to actually doing it as i lack a second person to help me put it back on. Here is what i'm currently faceing :

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Now one problem i see is that the plastic claw on the upper side, the part that is exactly on the corner next to the wheel-arch is somehow missing a chunk of it....don't know if this is what caused this as what remained of that "claw" still holds the front bumper's corner there and my "popping" problem appears somewhere in front of that part, closer to the signaling light where a piece of plastic from the bumper seems to slide in a "ditch" under that signaling light.

Problem is i'm running totally blind in here as i don't know what is supposed to fit on what, or slide or claw on what on that corner of the front-bumper close to the wheel arch. Maybe somebody who has removed his front bumper can explain to me how the bumper catching mechanism works (except for the torx and bolts) -no need for a step by step bumper removal, i've already read that thread.

My questions are :

1. Do i really need to take the whole bumper down (was kind of trying to avoid this, the rest of it is well fixed in place and i'm afraid i might do more damage) or just unscrewing the wheel-arch torx on that side and trying to fit it better do the trick (again, problem is even if i unscrew it, and detach that corner, i don't know how i'm supposed to fit it back)

2. i was contemplating glueing the part that keeps on popping from that "ditch" with silicone....is this a good/bad ideea ?

PS: please excuse my bad english, it's not my native language

Thanks, Mike