Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Fuel Pressure issue???

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2023, 08:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pressure issue???

Hello everyone,
I have a 2005 Volvo s60 2.5t. It's been a fixer upper car to say the least. For background information relating to the fuel system, I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, and the fuel sensor.
Recently, for the past couple days I have been having problems with fuel pressure from what I believe this problem is to be. I have gotten codes P0087 and P2177 recently. Attached is a video where I was doing about 70mph using cruise control on the highway, when suddenly, my engine seems to stop getting fuel, my car seems to still be running, but possibly just not getting any fuel. The only pedal I hit was the brake pedal (that's when my cruise control turned off via braking to pull over). I was eventually able to accelerated as I seemed to get fuel again(when i accelerated and kept driving). I commute on the highway daily, so a problem like this where I have consistently have to slow down in the middle of the highway to the point where i need to pullover, is not safe and is a crucial feature for my daily drive to work.

I'm hoping I didn't miss any information, and if I did please ask away, I'll take any help I can get!
Thank you all for your time in advance.

Old 03-29-2023, 07:49 AM
Received 88 Likes on 86 Posts

Have you checked what your fuel pressure is at the rail? There is a schrader valve on the fuel rail to physically check in addition to checking with a scanner. You can compare the two values to rule out the sensor that you already replaced.

it says code 1/6, does this mean you have 4 other CEL other than the 2 listed?

Also check around for intake leaks. You can do this with a smoke machine if you have one. I found the corrugated intake pipe from the intercooler to the throttlebody to be a potential weakness due to aging. You can also check with a flammable aerosol (like starter fluid or something similar) by letting the car idle and spraying in small areas at a time and wait to see if the revs increase. If they do, you got a leak nearby.

Old 03-29-2023, 08:21 AM

The PSI on the fuel rail from the gauge comes in at 68PSI. I can check those other possible 4 CEL codes you just mentioned on my car a bit later today and I’ll let you know what it says. I did just recently replace all the hoses but I’ll go around with something flammable later to check for any leaks.

The car does fine accelerating, but it just seems to be something with maintaining speed which is what puzzles me.

Originally Posted by Dingus1
Have you checked what your fuel pressure is at the rail? There is a schrader valve on the fuel rail to physically check in addition to checking with a scanner. You can compare the two values to rule out the sensor that you already replaced.

Also check around for intake leaks. You can do this with a smoke machine if you have one. I found the corrugated intake pipe from the intercooler to the throttlebody to be a potential weakness due to aging. You can also check with a flammable aerosol (like starter fluid or something similar) by letting the car idle and spraying in small areas at a time and wait to see if the revs increase. If they do, you got a leak nearby.

Old 03-29-2023, 08:59 AM
Received 599 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by elijah_h
2005 Volvo s60 2.5t. I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, and the fuel sensor.
What is the fuel pump duty cycle? Vida says 35%+-5% Many a fuel pump has been installed and the duty cycle was too high, due to a bad pump or foreign material in the tank.

Old 03-29-2023, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dingus1

So there are no other codes, and I wasn't able to check for leaks today.

Old 03-29-2023, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by hoonk
What is the fuel pump duty cycle? Vida says 35%+-5% Many a fuel pump has been installed and the duty cycle was too high, due to a bad pump or foreign material in the tank.

Hi hoonk, I haven't been able to get vida up and running yet, and it's being a real pain in the butt due to technical difficulties but I'll hopefully get it running soon. Can I change the duty cycle manually in vida if it is too high or too low? I may also look into replacing the ECM.

Old 03-29-2023, 08:08 PM
Received 599 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by elijah_h
Can I change the duty cycle manually in vida if it is too high or too low? I may also look into replacing the ECM.
You can't change the fuel pump duty cycle - it's what the pump is doing. If if has to pump too long/much - there's some other problem (usually a bad pump whether it's new or not!)

If you replace the ecm - your car will not run until you use VIDA to tell the car to talk to the NEW ecm. I don't think a USED ecm will ever work (without special stuff/programming from someone like xemodex)