Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Headlight problem...low beam

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight problem...low beam

Well my driver's side low beam went out like 4 weeks ago, got the message telling me, and then it came back on the next time I started the car. Then it went out on me again like 2 weeks ago and stayed out...until yesterday when I pulled in autozone to get some bulb grease for these HID's I got to replace the bulb. So this kind of confirms I have a short or something right? Bulbs don't go out and come back as far as I know, haha. Now my lights are working again but I don't wanna be driving at night and have it go out. I was messing with wires by the headlight to see if it would flicker etc but it stayed on. Any ideas on what could be causing this on a 2004 s60? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:08 AM

im no help on the shorting issue, but it sounds like you are having no problems pulling the HID bulb from the housing. Do you have any suggestions on how to do this easily, are you moving the windshield washer resorvoir etc..?

Old 06-11-2010, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by jeremy4130
im no help on the shorting issue, but it sounds like you are having no problems pulling the HID bulb from the housing. Do you have any suggestions on how to do this easily, are you moving the windshield washer resorvoir etc..?
My problem is on driver's side and nothing needs to be removed if you just want the bulb out. Look at this, in the maintenance section under bulbs.
http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/.../04s60_11b.htm

Depending on your year it may be different....

Old 06-11-2010, 09:00 PM

Were your Hid bulbs going out or factory hallogen.. i went through 3 factory halogen bulbs because the h7 connector fell apart and the wires were shorting out into eachother.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by cheesecake
Were your Hid bulbs going out or factory hallogen.. i went through 3 factory halogen bulbs because the h7 connector fell apart and the wires were shorting out into eachother.
Well my factories but the bulb hasn't gone out. I noticed the connector is a little but charred though. ....any ideas? They're working as of now but would getting a new connector solve this maybe?

Old 06-13-2010, 02:51 AM

Mine looked the same way. I installed a DDM tuning hid kit and when i did that i just broke the rest of the plastic apart connected each wire individually and then shrink tubed them so they dont short out against eachother.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:59 AM
Default Xenon headlight cycles up and down.

2005 S60 R with xenon HL's. Left side headlight cycles up and down as if going from Hi to Lo beams. However, when the beam cycles downward it appears to be pointing straight down in front of the car. As of now its only the LH light doing this. In the past this has happened and the mechanic replaced a "ballast". That was 6 months ago. The cycling happens at random times. Switching from hi to lo does not improve beam alignment. Any ideas?

Old 08-26-2010, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Texas10
Well my driver's side low beam went out like 4 weeks ago, got the message telling me, and then it came back on the next time I started the car. Then it went out on me again like 2 weeks ago and stayed out...until yesterday when I pulled in autozone to get some bulb grease for these HID's I got to replace the bulb. So this kind of confirms I have a short or something right? Bulbs don't go out and come back as far as I know, haha. Now my lights are working again but I don't wanna be driving at night and have it go out. I was messing with wires by the headlight to see if it would flicker etc but it stayed on. Any ideas on what could be causing this on a 2004 s60? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Connector on the wiring harness is bad. Go to your local dealership to make sure. Don't get them to look at, but just go inside and ask. I had that same problem with my driver's side turn signal. They sold me a new connector for $20. Just a thought

Old 08-26-2010, 08:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Connector is completely different for HID connectors and the standard H7 bulbs.

HID bulb connectors should be metal for the most parts, even the sleeve, if I am not mistaken, and probably are not as easy as just splicing in as the others.

Your bulb or ballast may be going out it sounds like to me, I see bulbs go out and come back on all the time.

Last edited by SVTfocusO3; 08-26-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:34 AM

The headlight on my car continues to be illuminated but physically cycles up and down. One minute it is pointing at the ground 5 feet in front of the car then cycles up to the appropriate aim equal to the RT hand headlight. happens at least once everytime we drive the car. Driving me nuts!

Old 08-29-2010, 11:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to solve all these electricel problem it is easy the ground on the headlight assembly is crap not enough to remove the heat going into the bulb meaning voltage. even on ur hid conversion. to fix this problem u just have to make your own ground use at least 10 gauge wire to make your own groung per bulb also on these car u replace the bulbs in pair. so when u replace the right u replace the left i know its cost money but it always happens u replace one then the other burns.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as for the FACTORY XENNON U HAVE A SUSPENSION LEVEL SENSOR THERE IS ONE ON EACH SIDE OF THE FRONT CONTROL ARM WHEN THE CAR IS CYCLED ON IT RUNS A QUICK TEST. THESE SENSOR ARE WHEN U TURNING CORNERS THEY AJUST TO TURNS MAYBE ONE OF THE ARM LINKS IS DAMAGED. ARE THEY ACTIVE HEADLIGHT?

Old 08-31-2010, 11:44 PM

If I'm understanding you correctly, I do have the Xenon HID headlights and they appear to have some sort of "Leveling" mechanism. Again the problem occurs sporadically involving the LH headlight only. Do you know what to include in a schematic search for this mechanism? I'd like to repair this myself but wasn't sure what it is called.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:48 PM

my '01 pass side (right side) low beam was fried 3 years ago, spent a summer evening soldering wires back together. Now it is mid-February and getting the dreaded 'dipped beam failure' msg, same bulb. when i go under the hood and rotate the plastic cup (faces rear of car, an inverted 'u' icon) just 5 degrees or so, bulb comes on. However, I have to do this EVERY SINGLE TIME I cycle the lights on! Plastic housing cup loose, just this one out of the four (two low, two high). Ideas???